Mic Is Screwed

JezpuhJezpuh Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15157Banned
<div class="IPBDescription">ohnos~ :<</div> I seem to be getting some sort of nice error message lately which prevents me from using my microphone.. at all. Not ingame, not in Windows Sound Record. I've already googled and visited the Steampowered forums, but without any success.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Unable to initialize DirectSoundCapture. Trying waveIn.Het opgegeven apparaat wordt al gebruikt. Wacht tot het beschikbaar is en probeer het opnieuw.
Unable to initialize wave input. You won't be able to speak to other players through a microphone.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"Het opgegeven apparaat wordt al gebruikt. Wacht tot het beschikbaar is en probeer het opnieuw." is dutch and means the following. "The selected divice is already being used. Wait until it's available and try again."

Comments

• raz0rraz0r Join Date: 2003-07-24 Member: 18395Members
    you might want to try upgrading your sound drivers, but other than that, i don't have any ide what it could be
  • TommyVercettiTommyVercetti Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13390Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    At least you've got a technical problem as an excuse. Due to my lack of planning ability, I put my microphone on the side of my monitor, which later turned out to have the mic right next to my speaker.
  • MedHeadMedHead Join Date: 2002-12-19 Member: 11115Members, Constellation
    edited January 2005
    My sister and I both had this problem in the past, and it was due to the soundcard or its drivers. We both eventually replaced our cards, and the problem never resurfaced.
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    What soundcard do you have? I had a older computer and, well, my microphone didnt work in half-life till i got a soundblaster live! card, which is great for the price....
  • NecroticNecrotic Big Girl&#39;s Blouse Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 53Members, NS1 Playtester
    Uninstall sound drivers, get last known stable version of sound drivers, install said version of sound drivers.

Had this problem when I updated the onboard nvidia drivers for my mobo and the only way I could fix it was by reinstalling the original version off disk.
  • JezpuhJezpuh Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15157Banned
    Note that I changed nothing. This suddenly started happening. I'll run a virus scan tonight.
  • OttoDestructOttoDestruct Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7790Members
    Anyone got a link to setting up the mic? I'm trying to do it for a friend, can't get it to work at all (yes I have the mute thing turned off)