Ns And Hl Tweeking In General

ScuzballScuzball Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20657Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">help the incompetent</div> Can anyone point me to some sort of opimization guide, or offer any useful tips for HL performance? I seem to have a very odd problem with certain areas of some maps, where my gameplay goes from a smooth 90-100 fps to instant and painful 2-4 fps.

It drops frames and even sound like a sieve. Controls get chunky, frames lag horribley, and the sound gets chopped up really bad. What the hell could cause this? It's only on certain maps, eg Engine hive on whats-its-map. The rest of the ENTIRE map is 90-100 fps, smooth as silk... Engine hive is choppy sound, 5 fps, DEATH for me on either team, either way.

Hewp!

Comments

• DragonMechDragonMech Join Date: 2003-09-19 Member: 21023Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well, if it's in specific areas of maps only (and it happens every time you're in that map) get a few screenshots of the area and post it as a bug; maps can have errors that cause framerate loss.

For tweaking, try: [<a href='http://www.nslearn.org/EplAlFpVVAHCIwfObA.shtml' target='_blank'>link</a>]
  • illhillh Join Date: 2004-08-31 Member: 31104Members
    Might be helpful if you gave your system specs.
  • SandstormSandstorm Join Date: 2003-09-25 Member: 21205Members
    I had a performance problem like that when Fast Writes were enabled.
  • coriscoris Join Date: 2003-07-08 Member: 18034Members, Constellation
    I always get those problems when i havent defragged in a while. Try it, works wonders!
  • tjosantjosan Join Date: 2003-05-16 Member: 16374Members, Constellation
    edited January 2005
    System specs please. NS is very heavy on your cpu, so this might be the cause.

Before I upgraded I would experience 90-100 fps while just walking around on my own, ~60 when other players or structures were on the screen, and around 30 when in actual battle. Upgraded CPU gave me a constant 99 fps.