Casual Mode Sucks

ViPrViPr Resident naysayer Join Date: 2002-10-17 Member: 1515Members
<div class="IPBDescription">it should be removed</div> because it costs nothing to respawn then that means that in many cases there is no point killing an enemy player and you could actually be helping them and their team because you are essentially giving them a free teleport to their base to get their health, armor, and ammo filled up for free. the amount of waiting for respawn is so little it's negligible and cannot be considered a cost. so where's the satisfaction in killing an enemy if you know that could be helping them? and where's the fear factor if you know that dying could be a blessing?

one of your own play-testers admitted typing kill in their console rather than pick up health packs; that alone should tell you something is screwy with this game. i myself have felt the urge to type kill in console while standing in my own main base because the commander refused to give me health and nobody bothered to weld my armor. this mode makes you have to play in a really retarded illogical way in order to win.

Comments

• preacherpreacher Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5130Members
    you really think a marine with heavy armor is going to type kill in console? go ahead and let them, everything costs resources and hes just hurting his team, not helping.
  • saiyrsaiyr Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5653Members
    Let's say you're a newbie. You don't like dying; you die anyway. You way an hour (yes, exaggeration is good.) to respawn, and you're like..."No way I'm this patient!" and you leave.

Let's say you're a newbie. You don't like dying; you die anyway. You respawn immediately and you're like..."w00t now I can actually learn something besides dying."

Let's say you're a newbie. And then you read this post. And now you think Saiyr's an idiot.

--Saiyr
  • GreedoGreedo Bounty Hunter Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 37Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    We tried having respawn costs. It didn't work. When you kill an enemy, you may not be costing them any resources, but you're costing them strength and time. If there's a squad running for the hive, and they're desperately far from base, killing even one of them, even if he's only an LMG marine, makes that squad less effective and less deadly and easier to kill.
  • TieomTieom Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1774Members
    I think he meant like a resource cost...
    Like 2 RP's or something.

I agree that having absolutely NO disadvantage to death for the marines (Especially under the current resource model, "Oh, my squad of 8 needs a full refit of HA and HMGs, good thing I can afford 80 of them...") is responsible for a lot of "l33t-r4mb0" solo tactics.
  • ViPrViPr Resident naysayer Join Date: 2002-10-17 Member: 1515Members
    when i said many cases i meant sometimes it's good and sometimes it's bad to kill an enemy. it should always be good for you to kill the enemy and bad to get killed.

alot of times players don't have any upgrades to lose.

i think it should always cost to respawn. i don't find the game fun anymore when i realize the implications of no respawn cost. others may find it still fun coz they don't realize the implications.
  • JikxJikx Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3563Members
    when half your team is dead, it takes a hell of a lot of time to respawn.. the point of dying is that you are not in game providing cover, harrassing that resource node, simply not there! So its always to kill the enemy, best multiple at the same time.
  • UnCriticalUnCritical Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 73Members, Constellation
    Am i wrong in thinking that aliens get RPs from killing marines? or was that changed and i missed it? hmm...

Anyhow killing a marine will always be good (before and after patch) as it alows the aliens more time to control the resource nodes and get all 3 hives.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    look, if the game was played PROPERLY (no assinine dervers that turned NS into BGH) then there is a VERY large negative to dieing if you have ANY thing at all

next up:

I rush marine base and manage to take out one or 2 marines, that is one or 2 marines that can;t come out and pester me

also if there was a recource cost to respawn the game would not be balanced, b/c aliens can't be charged recources (and don't say take it from personal RPs b/c there is no garunte that they will have any)

basic deal, this game is balanced so long as admins don't screw up the resources.

side note
    BGH=Big Game Hunters, a map (latter a type of maps) for starcraft that basicaly made it so that you didn't have to worrie about recouces in any way (just pump out your uber leet army of doom and charge, rather pathetic)
  • ViPrViPr Resident naysayer Join Date: 2002-10-17 Member: 1515Members
    i was told the aliens don't get any RP from killing marines.

it's not always good to kill marines. if a marine is heading back to base to get some free ammo, or to take cover and find someone to weld his armor, or to get better equipment or whatever, the worst thing you can do is kill him coz he'll be back out of his base faster to get back into fighting sooner coz he'll probably respawn in his base sooner than it takes him to run to his base and he won't have to wait for welding, and he wouldn't cost his team any RP on health packs. so it's not always good to kill marines.

btw i'm not talking about balance! i'm talking about making the game fun and without loopholes and that has to be done first before you try to balance it!
  • MarkMark Join Date: 2002-10-11 Member: 1479Members
    in my experience it can take 15 or 20 seconds to respawn.. most of the game you dont have just lmg and normal armor either
  • TwexTwex Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4999Members
    greedo386, you should explain WHY respawn cost didn't work, because what vipr says seems to make sense.
  • GreedoGreedo Bounty Hunter Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 37Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    edited November 2002
    Why didn't it work?

If one team rushed at the beginning and slughtered, but failed to finish off, one of the teams, then that's a significant chunk of resources down the drain. This seriously hampers the teams ability to do anything early, and generally leads to a painful loss.

If the commander's strapped for resources (and he will be once resource economy starts working correctly), and he's saving up for an upgrade/building/weapon to drop, but his men keep dying, it just leads to uneccesary frustration.

Basically, there is no resource cost for respawn because it makes the commander mode angring, frustrating, and no fun.

Not to mention lamers who'll just keep killing themselves at respawn to drain their team's resources.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Vipr I don't like your tone at all and would request that you be a little less antagonistic on these forums. I've seen your posts elsewhere too and this isn't the first time.
  • TwexTwex Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4999Members
    greedo386: the first point is not really convincing, rushes are supposed to hurt the early economy, that's the trade-off one has to pay for the speed advantage.

your other argument however makes lots of sense, i hadn't thought of that. commandering is hard enough already... :/