Im Screwed

elitebearelitebear Join Date: 2002-05-29 Member: 696Members
<div class="IPBDescription">stupid litestep.net</div> i dled litestep out of the recommendation of some forum goers here. its a custom skin loader, i guess is the best way to put it. i tried to download a skin and applied it to my desktop and the file was corrupted, so only parts of the skin loaded. im missing my start up menu, my desktop icons, and my ability to press right click. i cant access "my computer" through my IE because im using firefox, damn. if i close my IE right now, therell be no way i can fix this. can somehow help me, with some suggestions as to how i can get to my computer. HELP, GAHH

Comments

• ThE_HeRoThE_HeRo Join Date: 2003-01-25 Member: 12723Members
    uh, restart computer in safe mode?
  • elitebearelitebear Join Date: 2002-05-29 Member: 696Members
    well there you have it. i obviously wasnt smart enough to think of that. im gonna curl up and die
  • 0blique0blique Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16477Members
    One of the first things that comes to mind is trying a reboot, as that usually fixes many problems. I can understand, though, why you might be skeptical about doing this (and please don't do it without thinking about it first- I don't want to be blamed for messing up someone's computer just because I forgot to mention X or Y or something). So you need to have some contingency plans, or at least have some idea of what you might have to do.

If it turns out everything is permanently If you have access to another computer, you could always use that to help you out. Probably what you would need to do is install your hard drive on the other computer, make a backup of all the files you want to keep, and reinstall everything on your computer. If you knew which files were corrupted, you may be able to restore them, but I wouldn't count on it.

It always helps to have a boot disk or CD, so you have something to fall back on. What I would recommend is <a href='http://www.knoppix.org/' target='_blank'>KNOPPIX</a>, which a linux OS that fits and runs on a CD and is compatible with most hardware, but I'm sure everyone has there own ideas of what you could use.

But hopefully all you need to do is reboot (but don't take only my word for it).
  • OttoDestructOttoDestruct Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7790Members
    Learning keyboard shortcuts is your friend. Windows key was made for a reason. Win+E = Explorer. Use that to get around.
  • neko1neko1 Join Date: 2004-02-28 Member: 26950Members
    Litestep is actually a completely different shell than Explorer that just has expanded skinning and "modding" capabilities than Explorer. Litestep is very complicated and doesn't take much to screw up, so I recommend that you uninstall and read a lot of documentation on it before installing it again (if you are to install it again.)

I can say, since I'v been using it on and off since 2002-ish, that it's a good piece of software.
  • UnCriticalUnCritical Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 73Members, Constellation
    When Litestep screws up all you gotta do is hit ctrl-alt-del go to File>New task (run)>Browse to your litestep folder and select "Switch to default theme" and run it.
    It will automatically load your default theme.

Win.
  • JezpuhJezpuh Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15157Banned
    "Switch to default theme.ink". kthxbye
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--QuoteBegin-Jezpuh+Nov 11 2004, 08:48 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Jezpuh @ Nov 11 2004, 08:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->"Switch to default theme.ink". kthxbye<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you have the right installer (Omars) it should give ask you to return to the default theme when you have installed a new one.
  • BanzaiBanzai Join Date: 2004-10-19 Member: 32355Members
    When you use a new theme, it will usually tell you if you need some new
    modules. You can use a built in dler to automatically get them, or just get
    them manually (search google w/ filename). You NEED these modules to run
    the theme correctly. Otherwise, things like menues and stuff can't appear.
    The defauly theme comes with all the modules it needs so thats always safe.
    Otherwise you can ctr+alt+F1 and select run, find Set Shell.exe in the LS folders,
    select Use Explorer, apply, then restart to load up with explorer.

Definetly want to know how LS works before you just start messing around, but
    once you get it working, its better than anything you've ever used before.
  • Cold_NiTeCold_NiTe Join Date: 2003-09-15 Member: 20875Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-ThE HeRo+Nov 10 2004, 09:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (ThE HeRo @ Nov 10 2004, 09:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> uh, restart computer in safe mode? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Quite possibly the most foolproof solution to any program that you can't forcefully stop from running.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    On the topic of litestep, anyone got any ideas as to how to get a Wacom running properly with it? Currently, the mouse wheel isn't working and there's no pressure sensitivity on the pen.