Take "g A Y" Out Of The Word Filter

ForlornForlorn Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2634Banned
<div class="IPBDescription">Vote yes/no</div> Come on, it's a hot topic we all discuss from time to time. It's enough to read in this forum without "****" in every G A Y marrige thread.

However, I realize that it's to prevent peopel in other forums from using it as a derrogatory term, however in my mind you can just ban/punish the individuals who do, it's not worth the censorship so we can't hold a civil discussion without asteriks.

Also, would it be possible to place swear filters over individual forums?

Comments

• JimmehJimmeh Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20173Members, Constellation
    For once, i agree with Forlorn.
  • SkulkBaitSkulkBait Join Date: 2003-02-11 Member: 13423Members
    IIRC the answer to the second question is no. Personally I don't think it s a big deal since I can juist type homosexual or g*y or g@y.
  • ForlornForlorn Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2634Banned
    <!--QuoteBegin-SkulkBait+Nov 5 2004, 05:13 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (SkulkBait @ Nov 5 2004, 05:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> IIRC the answer to the second question is no. Personally I don't think it s a big deal since I can juist type homosexual or g*y or g@y. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It looks rediculous. We have to type in 1337 sp34k cuz teh sw34RZ are teh b4d!!!!1
  • CronosCronos Join Date: 2002-10-18 Member: 1542Members
    /Signed

Also, D1ck should be removed as well, because if someone mentions the name D1ck Cheney, it gets filtered
  • Marik_SteeleMarik_Steele To rule in hell... Join Date: 2002-11-20 Member: 9466Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Forlorn+Nov 5 2004, 05:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Forlorn @ Nov 5 2004, 05:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> [...]
    Also, would it be possible to place swear filters over individual forums? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Short answer: no.

It's something I'd take out of the filter for the Discussions forums only, but that's also because we already have a structure in place that lets me easily restrict someone from the Discussions forums only.
  • SupernornSupernorn Best. Picture. Ever. Made. Ever. Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7608Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-Forlorn+Nov 5 2004, 11:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Forlorn @ Nov 5 2004, 11:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Come on, it's a hot topic we all discuss from time to time. It's enough to read in this forum without "****" in every G A Y marrige thread.

However, I realize that it's to prevent peopel in other forums from using it as a derrogatory term, however in my mind you can just ban/punish the individuals who do, it's not worth the censorship so we can't hold a civil discussion without asteriks.

Also, would it be possible to place swear filters over individual forums? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If that word was removed from the Filter it would mainly be used as a derogatory term.
    I'm pretty sure if you really wanted to use the word in a real discussion, you could say "Homosexual"
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Marik_Steele+Nov 5 2004, 05:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Marik_Steele @ Nov 5 2004, 05:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Forlorn+Nov 5 2004, 05:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Forlorn @ Nov 5 2004, 05:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> [...]
    Also, would it be possible to place swear filters over individual forums? <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Short answer: no.

It's something I'd take out of the filter for the Discussions forums only, but that's also because we already have a structure in place that lets me easily restrict someone from the Discussions forums only. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Agreed compleatly, the words d1ck and g@y have no place in the rest of the forum, but the only time they ever come up in discussion they are usually compleatly relevent. If the long answer turns out to be yes, then please impliment this.
  • taboofirestaboofires Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9853Members
    The people who intend on using it decently can just subsitute "homosexual," and since it's not nearly as fun to flame using sensible language, I think the current system works fine.
  • kavasakavasa Join Date: 2003-01-05 Member: 11889Members, Constellation
    Way to not actually include a poll.

Take it off the filter, or at the least, take it off the filter for this forum.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-taboofires+Nov 5 2004, 06:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (taboofires @ Nov 5 2004, 06:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> The people who intend on using it decently can just subsitute "homosexual," and since it's not nearly as fun to flame using sensible language, I think the current system works fine. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Words that are actually in the vocabulary of most discussion forum members are probably better however.
  • KaliasKalias Superskulk Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2560Members
    edited November 2004
    I see very little of that word being used as an insult around here... in fact I see far more people being censored here and kicked/banned from #ns when using it in a relevant conversation.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    It cannot be removed from only one forum.

<span style='color:red'>*LOCKED.*</span>
  • coilcoil Amateur pirate. Professional monkey. All pance. Join Date: 2002-04-12 Member: 424Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--QuoteBegin-Kalias+Nov 5 2004, 08:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Kalias @ Nov 5 2004, 08:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I see very little of that word being used as an insult around here... in fact I see far more people being censored here and kicked/banned from #ns when using it in a relevant conversation. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    To comment post-lock...

You don't see it used because it can't *be* used.

I'd love to see your examples of people being banned for using g-a-y in a non-derogatory context. The *only* time I could see that happening is someone refusing to follow channel policy in #ns, and in that case the person would have been banned for refusing to abide by channel policy, not for using "g-a-y" in a non-derogatory fashion.

The rules are simple:
    1) We request that discussions of homosexuality not happen in #ns, nor on the forums except in the Discussions subforum.
    2) Users who fail to abide by rule #1 will be asked to stop. If they persist they will be warned, and action will be taken on further instances.
This discussion has been closed.