Help With Texturing.

PerditionPerdition Join Date: 2004-07-02 Member: 29692Members
<div class="IPBDescription">BLAARGH!</div> Okay, i'm having this huge problem working witha 256x256 skinmesh. So here I am, working on the cargo box for Lt. Gravity, everything looks absolutely awesome while it's in the paint program, but as soon as I apply it to the model, it looks absolutely terrible.

I tried working in a larger environment, i resized the UV map to 512x512 and made part of the texture there, shrunk it, saved it and applied it to the model, but it still came out really crappy. I don't know what I should do, any pros got some suggestions?

Texture im currently working on (yes, the texture should look like that, i chipped away bits of it so it looks worn.):

Comments

• ClashenClashen Join Date: 2003-08-22 Member: 20087Members
    Doesn't look awesome, looks like green with some noise and text. Add lightning, like shadows and stuff. And green...? Can you show us the model?
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    edited October 2004
    The model is in Lt.Gravity's collaboration thread for a mining vehicle.

Why such a bright green? Ask Grabitsass what background colours there are gonna be in the map section and also the colour of the lighting. I know it won't actually affect the lighting of the model, but it would be nice if it was a colour that doesn't look so thumbsore. The darker green was OK I thought. If not that then maybe some sort of industrial blue/blue-grey?

As far as the texture, as it's a heavy duty Ammo Box, I'm guessing it's been used a fair bit. The wear and tair would be showing the material colour under the paint job in certain areas, notably the edges and especially the lower edges. Just give it the perfect paint job, then add the sort of changes you'd expect to see if it was lugged about, scraped on the floor, thrown about in a drop-ship or transport, opened and closed a hell of a lot, had things put on top of it... the list goes on.

Add some of those wear 'n' tear additions and the box will age as you apply each change. Damn I wish I had a texture program (and my PC boohoo!).
  • PerditionPerdition Join Date: 2004-07-02 Member: 29692Members
    That picture was before I started doing <i>anything</i> to the skin. All I did was add some noise and text, that's it. I just posted it for...well I don't know why, but that wasn't my main concern for this thread. It's been solved now anyway.