Was There Anything That Was Needed To Be Fixed

SyringedSyringed Join Date: 2003-04-17 Member: 15579Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">that got fixed!?</div> Knock back is now MASSIVE for skulk bite. It's just insanely huge and utterly rediculous. The built multiple structures in 1 spot for aliens bug still exists, knife knock back is brutal now as well, gorges are now better at fighting than skulks currently thanks to improved bunnyhop/armor/spit, many maps seem to have changed for the worse and a lot are many times darker than I can remember. Many balance issues haven't even been touched which surprised me.

I hope there's a beta5a out asap.

Comments

• DragonMechDragonMech Join Date: 2003-09-19 Member: 21023Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Knockback got reduced in B5...
  • VB_PhatVB_Phat Join Date: 2004-07-20 Member: 30009Members
    Not to zero so no it's not fixed.
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    they're never gonna make it zero, cause if they are, they would have done it now
  • JazzXJazzX cl_labelmaps ∞ Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9285Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester
    There was a build in 1.1 that had zero knockback and it was an absolute disaster. If a skulk was able to get close enough for a single bite, the marine would always die (not to mention Fade/Onos). Barring some huge change to balance philosophy knockback is unlikely to be completely removed because it is simply too important for the marines to be able to react when they have been attacked.

As Zunni said many times in IRC today, this was not a balance patch, it was a bug fixing patch. Tons of stuff was fixed, and there were some balance changes as well. Also keep in mind that unless you transfered your config files over, all of your old settings were lost, so if you tweeked some of your brightness or gamma settings, you might need to do that again for B5.
  • ZiGGYZiGGY Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12479Members
    dont people realise how damn boring this game would be without knockback? :S
  • NGENGE Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22443Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-ZiGGY^+Sep 4 2004, 07:42 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (ZiGGY^ @ Sep 4 2004, 07:42 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->dont people realise how damn boring this game would be without knockback? :S<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    LOL DO THE RINES IN STERCRATF GO BCK LIKE A BAZLIONMILLIONTRILLIONG MILES WHIN DAY R HIT?!?!!???!?!/ I DON"T THINK so
  • SyringedSyringed Join Date: 2003-04-17 Member: 15579Members, Constellation
    I played a few games last night on NSA and several times I've been bitten by a skulk I jerked back at least 10 feet and not even jumping during it. Several others noticed it did seem like knock back got a severe increase. Seemed to have happened to the knife too because a jumping skulk can get knocked across the room now pretty damn easily with a knife attack.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Knockback is definitely less than it used to be, but I've also heard people complain that it can still send people flying. If they didn't fix whatever it is that actually makes people go that far, 50% of the huge air knockback is still too much.
  • AhnteisAhnteis teh Bob Join Date: 2002-10-02 Member: 1405Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    Knockback is one of those needlessly frustrating things that makes the game more like going to your job on a monday morning then playing a computer game to relax.
  • BobTheJanitorBobTheJanitor Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24228Members, NS1 Playtester
    I don't understand why xp-cagey's 1/10th air knockback fix was taken out and replaced with the 1/2 air knockback. 1/2 of 20 foot knockback still = dead skulk. 1/10 does not.
  • Silver_FoxSilver_Fox Spammer Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 34Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--QuoteBegin-JazzX+Sep 4 2004, 06:46 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (JazzX @ Sep 4 2004, 06:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> There was a build in 1.1 that had zero knockback and it was an absolute disaster. If a skulk was able to get close enough for a single bite, the marine would always die (not to mention Fade/Onos). Barring some huge change to balance philosophy knockback is unlikely to be completely removed because it is simply too important for the marines to be able to react when they have been attacked. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    apparently, some people skipped over this part.
  • AhnteisAhnteis teh Bob Join Date: 2002-10-02 Member: 1405Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-Silver Fox+Sep 4 2004, 07:29 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Silver Fox @ Sep 4 2004, 07:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-JazzX+Sep 4 2004, 06:46 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (JazzX @ Sep 4 2004, 06:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> There was a build in 1.1 that had zero knockback and it was an absolute disaster. If a skulk was able to get close enough for a single bite, the marine would always die (not to mention Fade/Onos). Barring some huge change to balance philosophy knockback is unlikely to be completely removed because it is simply too important for the marines to be able to react when they have been attacked. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    apparently, some people skipped over this part. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Frustrating the players in the name of balance is NOT a good thing. Change balance some other way.
  • Silver_FoxSilver_Fox Spammer Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 34Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Perhaps you have a suggestion other then saying 'find another way'?

If they heard a good one and it was feasible, I don't see why they couldn't try it or consider it.
    Change armor? Health? Etc.

Relying on a "if you jump, you can go bouncing around the room" effect is frustrating for skulks and fairly hard to balance since it's not constant.
  • ThE_HeRoThE_HeRo Join Date: 2003-01-25 Member: 12723Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-JazzX+Sep 4 2004, 04:46 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (JazzX @ Sep 4 2004, 04:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> There was a build in 1.1 that had zero knockback and it was an absolute disaster. If a skulk was able to get close enough for a single bite, the marine would always die (not to mention Fade/Onos). <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Uhh, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the point of closing in on marines, so when you reach them, they die?

I think skulk knockback should be completely removed for skulk (its underpowered anyway), but keep the fixed knockback for fade/onos, if that's possible.
  • SyringedSyringed Join Date: 2003-04-17 Member: 15579Members, Constellation
    Didn't really mean this topic to become about knock back but I was using that as an example since there's been a bunch of times in the last few games where I've been bitten by a skulk and tossed back pretty hard from standing perfectly still then when I crouch jump I get tossed back insane distances. Way more than I remember normally.

There's also several other things that just weren't fixed or fixed but made worse. ns_eclipse, ns_lost, ns_viel, several little bugs like the structure bug, the gestation on ramps bug, gestation in vents, and so on.

The new combat map just seems kind of like it was just put in because it was flashy and visually well done but extremely poor for a combat map gameplay wise.

There are some things I do like about this build. The new grenade model/animations, the shotgun isn't so much in your face anymore while firing it, and gorges got a needed boost so they're not totally crap in a one on one fight against a marine and onos with cara aren't that bad anymore.

I think while this build did fix a lot of stuff the things the players wanted fixed/balanced the most just weren't touched and it's scratching people the wrong way and making them think the NS devs are really out of touch with the community.
  • ZiGGYZiGGY Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12479Members
    and to think in 2 years of playing against almost any european ns player you could name I never once had an issue with them being knocked back and it causing me to lose in a situation where I would win. *wooh*
  • ssjyodassjyoda Join Date: 2002-03-05 Member: 274Members, Squad Five Blue
    ive personally never seen a problem with it either...
  • BulletHeadBulletHead Join Date: 2004-07-22 Member: 30049Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Syringed+Sep 4 2004, 09:30 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Syringed @ Sep 4 2004, 09:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I played a few games last night on NSA and several times I've been bitten by a skulk I jerked back at least 10 feet and not even jumping during it. Several others noticed it did seem like knock back got a severe increase. Seemed to have happened to the knife too because a jumping skulk can get knocked across the room now pretty damn easily with a knife attack. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hell with SKULK problems... with a knife I have thrown ONOS over edges to their doom! Think the marine start on the cargo bay / power silo / ventilation map... I forget it's name right now (ns_lost?)