Particle System Not Working

MrRadicalEdMrRadicalEd Turrent Master Join Date: 2004-08-13 Member: 30601Members
<div class="IPBDescription">check over this and tell me what's wrong</div> I understand the entity fairly well and use the viewer to get what I see looks right, but after compiled and wait for it to appear it's nothing what I saw in the PS viewer.

I'm wanting a steam jet at the moment. In game the sprites are drawn in one spot, and not in the shape I specified.

I attatched the .map example to see what I have done.

Generation Rate: 32
Max Particles: 32
System Life: -1
Particle Life: 1

Using steam1.spr
Size: 3
Scale over time: 15
Frame: 4
Anim Speed: 4

Generation Shape: Point
Generation Entity: SteamJet1(itself)

Velocity Shapre: Sphere
X 62.000
Y 4.000
Z 0.000

inner and outer radious is whatever
Start on enabled

The sprite is generated in game, but isn't animated in the desired direction. I am guessing I'm not understand something here

Comments

• brute_forcebrute_force Join Date: 2003-10-04 Member: 21433Members, Constellation
    Ok. One, max particles is 32, yet the generation rate is 32. This means your PS will create 32 particles, wait 1 second for them to die, then create another 32. Second, size 3 will make each sprite 3 units big. Which is really small. Third, scale over time is set to fifteen, this will make the entity 15 times bigger in 1 second. Are you sure this is the effect you want? Four, you can't make the generation entity itself, if you want it to be generated at the point of the PS simply don't enter any name there. Fifthly, Sphere will spread it all over. I assume you want to use box, it's the most commonly used shape for steam. Works like this:

minimum x speed, minimum y speed, minimum z speed, maxiumum x speed, maximum y speed, maximum z speed, 0, 0 (last two numbers are unused).

It might be the other way around, first three are the maximum and last three minimum, but just experiment a bit. Anyhow, each particle will be given a random speed and direction ranging within the max and min xyz values given. If you want it to go straight in one direction, just enter (for example) "100,0,0,200,0,0,0,0". I'm sure you understand.
  • MrRadicalEdMrRadicalEd Turrent Master Join Date: 2004-08-13 Member: 30601Members
    Yeah I do, Thanks, and if I want to generate the particles at another entity would it have to be another particle entity or any point based entity? I chose sphere because under the PS viewer it looked more natural coming out when I set the inner radious small and outer radious large.

I guess I can't trust what the viewer renders complete, but still when I try different values the sprites are drawn in one spot.
  • brute_forcebrute_force Join Date: 2003-10-04 Member: 21433Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-MrRadicalEd+Aug 26 2004, 05:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (MrRadicalEd @ Aug 26 2004, 05:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Yeah I do, Thanks, and if I want to generate the particles at another entity would it have to be another particle entity or any point based entity? I chose sphere because under the PS viewer it looked more natural coming out when I set the inner radious small and outer radious large.

I guess I can't trust what the viewer renders complete, but still when I try different values the sprites are drawn in one spot. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The entity can be any brush based entity or point based entity.
  • MrRadicalEdMrRadicalEd Turrent Master Join Date: 2004-08-13 Member: 30601Members
    Attached is a screenshot of what the test steam looks like. No matter what I do it always generates in one spot. What am I doing wrong?

Point, box, sphere.. whatever shape with whatever velocity settings the sprites sit still
    I have it figured out for the most part now. The PS viewer added extra zeros to the parameters that broke the effect. Once I used whole numbers as the values it all went as planned.

Now my only question is what part does pGenShape and pGenShapeParams to the particles as I am seeing desirec effects from only using pVelShape and pVelParams
  • prsearleprsearle Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2365Members, Constellation
    The generation shape affects where the particles are created. The velocity shape affects how they move.
  • KesterKester Join Date: 2004-02-21 Member: 26770Members, Constellation
    if u havent already u should check this out

<a href='http://nsworld.ns-central.co.uk/mappingguide/appendix1b.php' target='_blank'>Env_Particles_Custom</a>