Finding Out Your Ram

SnidelySnidely Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13098Members
<div class="IPBDescription">How do I do it?</div> I don't like looking inside my computer. Generally, I avoid it at all costs - it feels like I'm opening the Ark, and those crazy ghosts are going to come out and melt my face. However, I want to upgrade the amount of memory I have.

Is there any way to check what kind of RAM I have? The PC's been upgraded since I got the original, so the original specs from the manufacturer don't hold true anymore. My motherboard supports my Athlon 3.0 GHz; I believe that means it has to be above a certain speed, though I'm not sure what that speed is.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    Right click on my computer and click properties
  • UnCriticalUnCritical Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 73Members, Constellation
    <a href='http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php' target='_blank'>Clickeh</a>

Info about most stuff in your pc.
  • SnidelySnidely Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13098Members
    edited August 2004
    CWAG - sadly, that only tells you how much RAM you have, not its type.

I'm checking that out now, UnCritical.

Edit: it doesn't know. Goddamit!
  • coilcoil Amateur pirate. Professional monkey. All pance. Join Date: 2002-04-12 Member: 424Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    RAM is also one of the safest things to "mess with" in your computer. You know what it looks like, right? It's the one or two long, narrow (maybe 1" by 3.5") chip(s) plugged vertically into your motherboard. Pop them out using the clips at both ends, and have a look-see. Of course, turn the power off first!
  • zoobyzooby Join Date: 2003-08-26 Member: 20236Members
    You should keep your documentation info so you know what kind of RAM your mobo supports.
  • SnidelySnidely Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13098Members
    Yeah, I guess I'll have to open 'er up. It feels like desecration is all. ):
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Snidely+Aug 23 2004, 09:36 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Snidely @ Aug 23 2004, 09:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> CWAG - sadly, that only tells you how much RAM you have, not its type.

I'm checking that out now, UnCritical.

Edit: it doesn't know. Goddamit! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Check your bios it should say if it takes DDR SDRAM or SDRAM
  • MedHeadMedHead Join Date: 2002-12-19 Member: 11115Members, Constellation
    edited August 2004
    AIDA32 (now Everest) can tell you your memory type in the motherboard section.

<a href='http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html' target='_blank'>http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html</a>