Phonograph To Cd

GreeGree Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16454Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Can it be done?</div> Here is what I want to do.

I want to copy my dad's learn Russian records to cd so I can listen to them without the use of a phonograph player(which is bigger than my current computer). I need ideas and suggestions on how to do so.

Thanks

Comments

• NumbersNotFoundNumbersNotFound Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7556Members
    The basic process is to somehow get a turntable with outputs on it in a common format... Minijack is the easiset (although this is normally the headphone format, introducing another step in the amp process) but the best is probably RCA.

Take a look at <a href='http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=274-883' target='_blank'>this</a> adapter. It will take the RCA outputs from a turntable-enabled stereo and turn them into a minijack which can be used on a sound card.

The sound card should have a line-in or something similar. Just plug it into that port, then get a free recorder like <a href='http://www.goldwave.com/release426.php' target='_blank'>GoldWave</a> (i like the older version) to record input from that soundcard jack. You should make one giant .wav file (like an hour long) under the "file-new" menu and then just start recording the vinyl. After it records, jsut look for the long gaps betwen tracks, and go to "Edit > Copy To" and chose a filename for the .wave file. then from there you can encode and normalize like a normal .wave file.
  • GreeGree Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16454Members
    Thanks alot, this will help plenty.
  • Gay_Parrot_of_DoomGay_Parrot_of_Doom Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 8002Members
    You cannot use that adaptor to do this. The output from a cheap turntable is far too low in level, you simply wouldn't hear a thing. You must first amplify the output to line level, and then you can record it to a cd. Basically, you have to plug the turntable into an amplfier with a phono input (check to see if the cartridge is MM or MC it makes a huge difference to the amplifier), and then take an output from the amplifier (usually tape out) to your recording device.

If you don't have this, look around for a 'phono preamp', that will do more or less the same job as the amplifier, you just won't have all the bells and whistles that come on a cheap amp.
  • TheWizardTheWizard Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10553Members, Constellation
    I just took the turntable outputs (they were amped up in the turntable unit) and fed it into my machine while capturing as a wave.

I used some filters in goldwave to remove hiss and scratches and then the sounds were great.