Football Vs Actors

hawthornehawthorne Join Date: 2003-10-05 Member: 21460Members
edited August 2004 in Off-Topic
<div class="IPBDescription">which requires more talent?</div> my roomie and i managed to stay up for 5 hours arguing about which took greater talent to achieve

success as an a-list actor (example: halle berry, tom hanks)
success as a nfl star (example: micheal vick, ladanian tomlinson)

(talent meaning something you are born with, not trained)

i would like to hear your ideas and a POLL if admins could add such a thing for me.

Comments

• BigMadSteveBigMadSteve Join Date: 2003-02-12 Member: 13472Members
    That's a tough one. For talent I'd have to go with actor though. I'll back it up later, heading out in a minute.
  • AllUrHiveRblong2usAllUrHiveRblong2us By Your Powers Combined... Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11244Members
    I'd say NFL player, but only because they have to learn to dance. And if the Bears taught us anything, it is hard.
  • raz0rraz0r Join Date: 2003-07-24 Member: 18395Members
    I've never understood why you[Americans] call it football, when you barely ever use your feet, but im not going to spark an argument.

I'd say actors, because they have to learn lines, and all 'football' players have to do, is remember which person to tackle/who to pass to.
  • BizZy_9mm_MessiahBizZy_9mm_Messiah Old School Member Join Date: 2003-07-25 Member: 18411Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-raz0r+Aug 2 2004, 09:09 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (raz0r @ Aug 2 2004, 09:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I've never understood why you[Americans] call it football, when you barely ever use your feet, but im not going to spark an argument.

I'd say actors, because they have to learn lines, and all 'football' players have to do, is remember which person to tackle/who to pass to. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh god why even post here? ANYWAYS I say football players because they have to go through immense training and pain to get in shape and prepare for some hardcore krunk!
  • AldarisAldaris Join Date: 2002-03-25 Member: 351Members, Constellation
    Given your definition of talent, I'd say the football star, as its a natural talent that gets them noticed and leads to training, where as the actor usually goes through training before he/she is noticed, and anyone can act, and not everyone can play american football.
  • raz0rraz0r Join Date: 2003-07-24 Member: 18395Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Aldaris+Aug 2 2004, 04:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Aldaris @ Aug 2 2004, 04:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Given your definition of talent, I'd say the football star, as its a natural talent that gets them noticed and leads to training, where as the actor usually goes through training before he/she is noticed, and anyone can act, and not everyone can play american football. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Anyone can act, but not everyone can act well, to be a good actor, you do need to be born with a certain amount of talent. With american football, you do need a certain amount of natural talent, but more of it is acquired.
    People <i>can</i> act without any training, but it takes training to be good at american football.
  • MedHeadMedHead Join Date: 2002-12-19 Member: 11115Members, Constellation
    This thread could start me on a rant about how America treats actors and their supposed "skill", but I will hold myself back.

I say they're equal. They use different skills, that's all.
  • enf0rcerenf0rcer intrigued... Join Date: 2003-03-16 Member: 14584Members
    edited August 2004
    <!--QuoteBegin-hawthorne+Aug 2 2004, 07:39 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (hawthorne @ Aug 2 2004, 07:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> (talent meaning something you are born with, not trained) <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    An actor would be the more talented of the two given that football players are simply born with the right mesomorphic body structure. That isn't talent, that's just their physical appearance. Actors have knowledge and in my opinion talent comes from knowledge. Since a football player isn't a football player untill they've trained, they're just ordinary people with a body for the game. An actor <i>is</i> prepared before he/she has training, he/she simply gets better at what he/she does.

Really though, it's just two sides of the coin. Either is right, i'm just more towards the actor side.
  • QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Football. Its probably just me, because I'm okay at football, but I'm a damned good actor if I do say so myself.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    I'm not sure which is harder (it's a good question) but when you're a football player you have a larger chance of a huge person breaking your back.
  • hawthornehawthorne Join Date: 2003-10-05 Member: 21460Members
    question rephrased:

of the two, which genetic qualities are more rare in the general population?
  • Marik_SteeleMarik_Steele To rule in hell... Join Date: 2002-11-20 Member: 9466Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-hawthorne+Aug 2 2004, 07:39 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (hawthorne @ Aug 2 2004, 07:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> [...]
    i would like to hear your ideas and a POLL if admins could add such a thing for me. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href='http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=76787' target='_blank'>Your wish is my command</a>. Requests for "boxers or briefs" or similarly pointless polls normally get turned down, but this seems to be sparking some decently intelligent conversation.
This discussion has been closed.