Let's Bash Bill O'reilly

DrSuredeathDrSuredeath Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8217Members
edited July 2004 in Discussions
<div class="IPBDescription">Who actually believe him nowaday?</div> <a href='http://cdn.moveon.org/data/ShutUp_Final_BbandHi.mov' target='_blank'>from Fark</a>

<a href='http://misery.blogs.com/misery/2004/07/deconstructing_.html' target='_blank'>Another gem</a>

Comments

• SpoogeSpooge Thunderbolt missile in your cheerios Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 67Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->...and enjoy a new life as the cornerstone of the successful FOX NEWS operation.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is a bit of a stretch. I'd place Brit Hume in that position. O'reilly is merely a personality. Otherwise say what you like. As far as I'm concerned, O'reilly has become increasingly more difficult to watch. Come to think of it-I don't watch him at all. Hmm. Yep.
  • Edward_r2Edward_r2 Join Date: 2003-11-27 Member: 23626Members
    I wouldn't really describe a "hey let's make fun of this guy loloololoolol" thread as a discussion. Is this kind of stuff really necessary? Sure I don't care for O'Reilly, but creating topics to make fun of him is hardly the basis for an intelligent discussion.
  • HandmanHandman Join Date: 2003-04-05 Member: 15224Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Edward.r2+Jul 22 2004, 11:22 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Edward.r2 @ Jul 22 2004, 11:22 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I wouldn't really describe a "hey let's make fun of this guy loloololoolol" thread as a discussion. Is this kind of stuff really necessary? Sure I don't care for O'Reilly, but creating topics to make fun of him is hardly the basis for an intelligent discussion. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes I completely agree, how is Bashing someone qualified as discussion?
  • HBNayrHBNayr Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 930Members
    Discuss <a href='http://www.oreilly-sucks.com/transcripts/oreillyglick.htm' target='_blank'>this</a>, then.

-Ryan!

"If you succumb to the temptation of using violence in the struggle, unborn generations will be the recipients of a long and desolate night of bitterness, and your chief legacy to the future will be an endless reign of meaningless chaos."
    -- Martin Luther King, Jr

Honest disagreement is often a good sign of progress.
    --Mahatma Gandhi
  • HandmanHandman Join Date: 2003-04-05 Member: 15224Members
    You cannot equate Bill O'reilly to a journalist. He runs a talk radio show on TV. Its is an editorial expressing his opinion on the world and not straight facts. I don't know what there is to discuss. If you don't like the guy than don't watch his show, I don't anymore.

As for the interview, Im sure there is more to the story than what oreilly-sucks.com has to say. Glick could have told O'reilly's crew he was going to talk about one thing, than went on with another. That said the transcripts make it look like two guys fighting for mic control, and the man that owns the mic one.
  • BathroomMonkeyBathroomMonkey Feces-hurling Monkey Boy Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 78Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    edited July 2004
    <!--QuoteBegin-Handman+Jul 23 2004, 02:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Handman @ Jul 23 2004, 02:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> You cannot equate Bill O'reilly to a journalist.  He runs a talk radio show on TV.  Its is an editorial expressing his opinion on the world and not straight facts.  I don't know what there is to discuss.  If you don't like the guy than don't watch his show, I don't anymore.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The problem is that the people who watch/listen to his show <i>believe</i> he's a journalist, and take his talking points as fact.

My current favorite, from mediamatters.org (which is the liberal equivalent to the mrc.org):

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->O'REILLY: Now if the [Canadian] government -- if your government harbors these two deserter [sic], doesn't send them back ... there will be a boycott of your country which will hurt your country enormously. France is now feeling that sting.

MALLICK: I don't think for a moment such a boycott would take place because we are your biggest trading partners.

O'REILLY: No, it will take place, madam. In France ...

MALLICK: I don't think that your French boycott has done too well ...

O'REILLY: ...they've lost billions of dollars in France according to "The Paris Business Review."

MALLICK: I think that's nonsense.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The problem? There is apparently no such thing as the 'Paris Business Review'.

Mediamatters does some research:
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->A Google.com search revealed no mentions of "Paris Business Review," "Revue des Affaires de Paris," or any similar French name. A LexisNexis search for "Paris," "France," or "French" within five words of "business review" produced no relevant results. There is a journal called "European Business Review," which is published in England; however, over the past two years, "European Business Review" has not mentioned an American boycott of France.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Additionally,
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> According to the U.S. Census Bureau, in February 2004, the United States imported $2.26 billion in French goods and services, up from $2.18 billion in February 2002.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can't recall who said it, and what they said exactly, so I'll paraphrase wildly here: I've begun to think that O'Reilly <i>isn't</i> a liar-- he actually <i>believes</i> he's telling the truth, and that his organizations and statistics exist, so it's something more pathological than mendacious.

I listen to him every now and then, and actually find myself agreeing with him occasionally, but he's far too whiny for me to take seriously. For the amount of name-calling and bullying he does, it's just way too comical to watch him suddenly turn around, near tears, crying about 'smear merchants' unfairly criticizing your 'humble' reporter.
  • AllUrHiveRblong2usAllUrHiveRblong2us By Your Powers Combined... Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11244Members
    edited July 2004