Ninja Gaiden

TommyVercettiTommyVercetti Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13390Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">How the hell do you win?</div> I just rented Ninja Gaiden and played for about an hour and a half, and all I have to say is: GOD, PLEASE, GIVE ME A GUN! That game is friggin' impossible, and I don't mean in the "hard" way, I mean in the "never win" way. I can't beat the first boss, the dude with the nunchucks. Seriously, how can you beat that? Special moves? I get too hyper when playing action games to reliably execute moves like that. I like subtler methods, like blasting peoples' heads off with an 8-gauge shotgun.

Comments

• panda_de_malheureuxpanda_de_malheureux Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24775Members
    you win by giving up, when you pop the cd out it plays the credits.
  • coilcoil Amateur pirate. Professional monkey. All pance. Join Date: 2002-04-12 Member: 424Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Ninja Gaiden is absolutely a skill game. You can tell because the second time through the game, you're stunned at how much more l33t n1nj4 sk1llz you've acquired.

The first boss is definitely hard; even on my second playthrough I used several potions. The most reliable way I've found:

1) keep your distance
    2) lure him near a wall
    3) run along the wall towards him (not up the wall, along it), and press X when you're near him. You'll execute a fast-moving horizontal slash that he seldom blocks and which removes about 1/10 to 1/15 (ish) of his health.
    4) immediately after the attack (regardless of whether or not you succeed), hold down the L trigger and hit your directional to roll away from him.
    5) get some distance between you again and repeat

Wind Roll is the key to beating Murai. You can learn his combos to some degree - he usually has either a two- or three-hit combo. If he does the three-hit, block till the end and then you can get off a few swipes and then roll away to safety. If he does the two and then pauses, ROLL AWAY! He is about to follow it up with a guard-crushing attack or a throw that really hurts.

I find it's much safer, though, to use hit-and-run strikes from a distance. Getting in close is just asking for him to use his superior strength to pwn you, hard.
    _____

Closing notes:

1) Ninja Gaiden is a real ninja game. You have to BE a ninja, and you have to be damn good.

2) If you thought Murai was hard, wait till you get to the Chapter 2 sub boss.

3) If you think the Ch. 2 sub boss is hard, wait till you get to the Ch. 2 boss. ^^
  • Nemesis_ZeroNemesis_Zero Old European Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 75Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    edited July 2004
    Ninja Gaiden - Proof that wrecking peoples egos can be financially profitable.
  • frostymoosefrostymoose Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20799Members
    ahhh... yeah murai was pretty hard. I just hit him a couple times and then proceeded to roll and jump away when he started to attack me. and don't listen to coil or anybody else about the ch 2 boss...I don't see the big deal. god was that horse guy was easy.
  • DOOManiacDOOManiac Worst. Critic. Ever. Join Date: 2002-04-17 Member: 462Members, NS1 Playtester
    coil is correct. Take his advice, and w/ some practise you'll pwn Mauri.

Also, don't give up, because NG gets <u>exponentially</u> better after stage 3 and on. Its like orgasmic amounts of pure video game joy.

But like coil said, it is very much a skill game. Don't worry though, you will eventually get good at it and you'll start mopping foes around left and right w/o even getting hit!
  • TommyVercettiTommyVercetti Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13390Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks for the advice, but I doubt I'll get very far before the rental expires. Oh, and who said it wrecked my ego? I know my strong suite is in the shooter genre.