Snow Blind

BaconTheoryBaconTheory Join Date: 2003-09-06 Member: 20615Members
edited July 2004 in Fan-Fiction Forum
Ok, i haven't written a story in a LONG time so here it goes...

Pvt. Simmons was here on Minerva with the 3rd Marine Expeditionary Platoon scouting out the planet for sites for future military installations. It was a pretty crappy job, but he had to go where he was assigned. His dropship landed at Ft. Germaine at 1800 hours. He stepped out of the dropship and looked at his battle suit's sensors. It was Mid-June back on Earth, but Pvt. Simmons' thermal readout said it was -15 degrees celsius. His suits EAS automatically adjusted itself to the harsh cold and snow. He walked up to the reinforced blast door to the base and was about to open it when it opened itslef and a fellow marine stepped out.

"Pvt. Simmons, get your platoon together and come in through that Tactical Wing, we have a bit of a situation."

Pvt. Simmons took his platoon to the Tactical Wing and was greeted by Colonel Follet. Salutes were exchanged and the Colonel spoke.

"Simmons, I hate to give you this kind of greeting but we have a situation that you just happen to be able to help us with."

"What is that sir?"

"Recon towers showed a large mass of Kaharaa moving toward this base. That was at 1730 hours. The Recon towers now do not show any movement which means...."

There was a loud bang and the sound of gunshots from somewhere outside of the base.

"....they're already here." the Colonel finished.

"What do you want us to do Colonel?"

"Take your men and divide them up into 2 teams. Send one outside around to the armory. They cannot take that, otherwise we'll never be able to get ammo or medical care. You take charge of the other team. Go to the MCSC and defend it. All of our vital information is there. If they get it...I think we'll have a problem."

"Yes sir. I won't let you down."

"Good."

Now Simmons divded up his men and went to his objective. It was easy to get to the MCSC because he loaded the base's blueprints into his team's HUDs, as well as his own HUD. He arrived at the MCSC and found a door that read, "MCSC. AUTHORIZED TECHNICAL PERSONEL ONLY". He took the locking codes that were uploaded to his suit's computer and opened the door. His team followed him in and took up tactical positions in the cavernous room. He went and shut the door and over-rided the security system to full defensive mode. All there was left to do was wait.

It seemed like hours past but it was only 2034 hours. His team was still alert and ready. Thank God he thought, and just as he finished thinking about how well his team had been trained, there was an unmistakable banging and crunching of metal. His team flinchined but resumed their calm. The door wouldn't hold for much longer, they were gonna have to kill something. The door gave way and burst. Through the hole in the door came rusing what seemed to be a swarm of Kaharaa. Gunfire erupted and echoed throughout the room and there was the unmistakable scream from a teammate. He watched as 2 more of his teammates were torn to pieces by oncoming fades. His team was getting slaughtered but he had to defend the MCSC. He turned around just in time to see a fade practically on top of him. The fade raised it's sharp claw and Pvt. Simmons' world went black.

I may or may not do a sequel so stay tuned.

Here are some terms i used:

<u>EAS</u> - Environmental Adaptation System
<u>MCSC</u> - Master Computer System Core