Help! My Codec Hates Me!

Cold_NiTeCold_NiTe Join Date: 2003-09-15 Member: 20875Members
edited July 2004 in Off-Topic
<div class="IPBDescription">K-Lite Mega Codec Pack strikes again.</div> Well I guess I will get to the point; I use the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, as I mentioned in the title, and it has been wonderful so far. Providing me Realplayer and Quicktime alternatives and DVD playback etc. However mostly I use this thing to play .avi, divx, xvid and .ogm files. Seems however, that it's .ogm support is really poor, as I cannot get it to properly switch audio in a dual audio file; in my case english back to original japanese. The subtitle system is working fine it seems, but the audio works on and off.

I suppose there is a possibility of the file I am trying to play being corrupted, but it is part of a series and the first 5 episodes worked perfectly fine on it. So if the file is corrupted in that the english audio works fine, and all the video works fine, but just the japanese audio is ruined, then I guess I'm in quite a pickle. However, I want to believe that it is simply my codec's pathetic ogm playback.

And before you suggest it, I tried Nemo, and windows media player seemed to pretend it wasn't there... I couldn't get it to acknowledge the nemo codecs. On top of that, having Nemo installed completely ruins K-Lite, as they interfere with each other and I can no longer play AVI files with either of them if both are installed. (It plays back looking like green tinted stained glass. Not pretty... believe me.)

Is there some patch for K-Lite that I am missing or something? Or some player that can handle Ogg Vorbis? I'd prefer an actual player, as messing around with random codecs seems to be more trouble than it is worth.

Anyway, my previous disclaimer applies here as well, I want to hear about codecs, not the files you use them to play.

Comments

• esunaesuna Rock Bottom Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15175Members, Constellation
    Download <a href='http://www.headbands.com/gspot/' target='_blank'>GSpot</a> and open the .avi or whatever. It will tell you exactly what codec you need and if it's installed / not installed or misconfigured. When you know exactly what it is, google the exact name and download it.

Never use codec packs. For one they install more crap then you'll ever need, they can screw up viewing videos and have also screwed up a number of games (Silent Hill 3, System Shock 2, to name two). It only takes a matter of a few minutes to find, download and install the codec you need and it saves installing a bunch of crap you'll never want nor need.
  • Cold_NiTeCold_NiTe Join Date: 2003-09-15 Member: 20875Members
    edited July 2004
    You sir are my hero. And this program is my new demi-god. <i>I have seen the light!</i>

--------------------------------

Gah!! Though now I can play said .ogm files in Windows Media Player, it seems that the file itself MUST have been corrupted, as it still provides only english audio. Great.
    Thanks for your help anyway.
  • EEKEEK Join Date: 2004-02-25 Member: 26898Banned
    Do you even speak Japanese?
  • Cold_NiTeCold_NiTe Join Date: 2003-09-15 Member: 20875Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-EEK+Jul 11 2004, 12:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (EEK @ Jul 11 2004, 12:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Do you even speak Japanese? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, that is why the heavens blessed us with Subtitles.

And if you heard the english audio's voice actors, you would try your bloody best to switch it to the japanese audio too. Believe me.