Marine confinement

EkajEkaj Creator of ns_mineshaft, co_core Join Date: 2002-01-26 Member: 95Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, NS2 Map Tester
Marine confinement is the goal of this strat, to keep the marines in their base. This strat is for a mid/large sized clan or organized game. At the start of the game 3 aliens go gorge, the rest camp the MS exits (it’s very important that the initial marine outing fails). Each gorge heads out to cap one node, then one of them starts saving for a hive, the other 2 get turrets and defense chambers outside (slightly out of siege range) the MS exits. Then the 2 offensive builders get 1 more node each and then build up backup defenses in case the marines GL the existing ones.

When the second hive goes online most skulks go fade and a few go lerk and proceed to pester the bases with a barrage of acid rockets and umbra to cover the fades. 1 builder builds a movement chamber at every MS exit base and one in each hive. (to provide quick transport to other hives should the marines break through and launch an attack). The hive-building gorge should probably have the third hive up and should now be building back up turrets in the hives. The other 2 gorges should be back at the MS exits healing/fortifying them until the aliens break through and win.

Comments

• doctorskizodoctorskizo Join Date: 2002-07-31 Member: 1035Members, Constellation
    I agree, in the beginning of the game, for the aliens, what you do is most crucial in determining how well you do later. Even if boths side have a sloppy game, the marines have a better advantage because their structures are harder to destroy and the commander can keep the team supplied with health and ammo. The skulks are very important early in the game, keep the marines away from the gorges! Resource generation tends to be a little slow unless the server op played with the resource variables. After setting up the resource and offense chambers, I found very helpful to build the defense chamber first. If you place it in a hidden spot, you can always run back to it after taking some metal up the ###. Plus you get a trait to help you out. From the initial 7 hours of playing, I feel the order of chambers should go: defense, movement, and sensory. Make sure those defense chambers are almost as important as the offense chambers. Well I gotta go, I got class. I'll continue this later, lol.

There's nothing like playing ns on a 54 in TV with a stadium sound system.
  • Ben128Ben128 Join Date: 2002-06-21 Member: 808Members, Constellation
    Also remember guys, gorges are not just the builders, they are also your medics, bringing one up the the rear of an attack can make an awesome hit and run strategy. I just did that on my lunch break about 20 minutes agon. 2 gorges kept me(a skulk), and two fades fully healed AND provided cover fire and after we took the area, they secure it with a defense chamber and some turrets. Dont underestiamte defense chambers, they can heal fast as all get out. A few in a base can make the difference defending it.
  • kaxmankaxman Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4149Members
    I agree with you on the movement chambers.  I find myself constantly reminding people that they don't have to spend five minutes running to the hive that is under attack if they spawn on the opposite side of the map :-\