Damaged Based On Xp Not Kills

2»

Comments

• ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Whether or not you recognize how elitist your attitude is, it's still obnoxious to accuse them of simply whining because they can't get any exp with the current system. Not everyone whose opinions differ from yours is a newb. In this case people want exp for damage because it's theoretically a more fair way of judging who contributed the most to the kill and rewarding them for it. Personally I think it's flawed and would be extremely difficult to balance for any number of reasons, but it should be obvious to most that this idea isn't motivated by an inability to kill things. You seriously need to put down the attitude and try to bring a little bit of respect to your posts.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Night-Eagle+Jun 22 2004, 02:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Night-Eagle @ Jun 22 2004, 02:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Moderator, change topic name to "<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Experience Based on Damage, not Kills</span>" since we can't in edit mode.

Which kind of person are you?
    A. I agree, XP should be based on damage delt, not kills delt.
    B. I disagree, I like it when someone leaves an Onos with 2 hp left and dies without getting any XP so I can get the kill and all of the XP with one shot. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    you see the problem with that is that, exp will go up no matter what, there will be no point in staying alive if people get xp without you dying.
  • im_lostim_lost TWG Rule Guru Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15861Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->you see the problem with that is that, exp will go up no matter what, there will be no point in staying alive if people get xp without you dying. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I actually agree that this could be a problem, if you got experience whenever you damaged a player. Instead, you should only get xp if you damage them <b>and</b> they die shortly afterward (maybe within 5 seconds). That is, if it is implemented at all.
  • kill4thrillskill4thrills Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29506Members, Constellation
    i'm now against this exp for damage system. if you die you need to be penalized. staying alive is important to emphasize; not only is it skillful to stay alive, it will clutter up the spawn queue if no one has regard for dying.

its not that hard to get exp anyways. stay in groups and everyone gets exp when something gets killed.
  • semipsychoticsemipsychotic Join Date: 2003-07-09 Member: 18061Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->i'm now against this exp for damage system. if you die you need to be penalized. staying alive is important to emphasize; not only is it skillful to stay alive, it will clutter up the spawn queue if no one has regard for dying. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What about xenocide? One xenocide will add one person the the alien respawn queue, but could easily add three to the marine queue.
  • kill4thrillskill4thrills Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29506Members, Constellation
    well if you xeno and kill someone you get exp, even if you die. if you don't kill anyone, you don't get exp, so its just fine.
  • Impy_The_LerkImpy_The_Lerk Join Date: 2003-05-24 Member: 16652Banned
    this is a terrible idea...

so not only will marines be rewarded for not killing anything (their objective)

aliens will be punished for going to the hive and heal, or just regening hp cus there feading marines levels off the dammage...

and yeah spores + ressuply == level 10 in about 30's

so yeah really bad idea.
  • Night_EagleNight_Eagle Join Date: 2003-11-07 Member: 22373Members
    edited June 2004
    Common situation:
    You join.
    Your a level 1 marine.
    The entire alien team is above level 6.

How does that sink your chances of getting a kill?

And for you balance freaks, did I say all damage would be based on a fixed rate? No. Try damagedealt*5-attackrating=xp with attackrating ranging from 1-10 or something. Play with the numbers. You can make spores give an attack rating of lets say 4.99 so that the lerk get .01 xp per 1 hp.
    Seems like you all learned nothing in school...must have brought a laptop into class and played "flame".
  • MaianMaian Join Date: 2003-02-27 Member: 14069Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    Simple solution:

The current system is this: when enemy dies, exp gained = enemy level * some multiplier

Damage-based system would be this: when enemy dies, exp gained = total damage you dealt to enemy / total damage everyone dealt to enemy * level * some multiplier

No infinite exp problems. You will not get exp until the enemy is killed.
  • Lt_HendricksonLt_Hendrickson Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14761Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Night-Eagle+Jun 26 2004, 01:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Night-Eagle @ Jun 26 2004, 01:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Common situation:
    You join.
    Your a level 1 marine.
    The entire alien team is above level 6.

How does that sink your chances of getting a kill?

And for you balance freaks, did I say all damage would be based on a fixed rate? No. Try damagedealt*5-attackrating=xp with attackrating ranging from 1-10 or something. Play with the numbers. You can make spores give an attack rating of lets say 4.99 so that the lerk get .01 xp per 1 hp.
    Seems like you all learned nothing in school...must have brought a laptop into class and played "flame". <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Entirely irrelavent post. I'm glad everyones post flew over your head.
  • k1ndredk1ndred Join Date: 2003-11-30 Member: 23790Members
    play harder, go CLASSIC

Kill marines next time (thanks romano)