Interweb Troubles

XiileXiile Join Date: 2003-02-22 Member: 13818Members
edited June 2004 in Off-Topic
<div class="IPBDescription">Because Me = Nub.</div> Firstly, I'm on 512k Cable hooked up on a Linksys 4-port router which is connected to three computers. Two of those computers are almost always being used (mine is one of them).

Now, the problem. I randomly get diconnected off of mIRC due to a "Ping Timeout". Along with that, I also randomly get an extreme lag spike in NS every once in a while (I stop moving for about 5 seconds, then the water splash-y sound comes in and I am able to move again.). ALONG WITH THAT, I randomly get disconnected off of Ventrilo (I use it because I'm in a clan.).

I've found that the moment I get the extreme lag spikes in NS, I get disconnected off of Ventrilo.

I've also tried playing with my settings in all three programs, and it didn't help any.

So, anyway, I NEED HELP. Seriously.

EDIT: And no, none of the comps are wireless.

Comments

• MedHeadMedHead Join Date: 2002-12-19 Member: 11115Members, Constellation
    Hmm... something like this happened to the network at my house in the past. I think it was due to the MBPS being set at 100, when it needed to be set at 10, or vice versa.
  • XiileXiile Join Date: 2003-02-22 Member: 13818Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-MedHead+Jun 21 2004, 08:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (MedHead @ Jun 21 2004, 08:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Hmm... something like this happened to the network at my house in the past. I think it was due to the MBPS being set at 100, when it needed to be set at 10, or vice versa. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And how could this be changed?
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    make sure steam isn't updating anything?

find a program that lets you moniter in/out traffic?

Adaware
    Spybot S&D
    AVG
    on all 3 puters?

Check the other 2 to see if funky stuff happens there?
  • MadCowMadCow Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13398Members
    I would suggest scanning all of you computers. There was this one time that we had about 4 computers set up in a large apparment and one of my roomate's computers kept getting knocked offline, you know, Aim logging off and back on, bad connectivity. Anyway, turns out one of my other roomates had a bad virus/trojan of off IRC and was messing up the network for the other guy, so I suggest making sure all your computers are clean.
  • littlewildlittlewild Join Date: 2002-11-20 Member: 9467Members
    Scanning is good option. You can also try removing the connections 1 by 1 to isolate the problem.
  • MedHeadMedHead Join Date: 2002-12-19 Member: 11115Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-Xiile+Jun 21 2004, 07:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Xiile @ Jun 21 2004, 07:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-MedHead+Jun 21 2004, 08:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (MedHead @ Jun 21 2004, 08:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Hmm... something like this happened to the network at my house in the past. I think it was due to the MBPS being set at 100, when it needed to be set at 10, or vice versa. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And how could this be changed? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There should be a configuration area for your router; it should be mentioned in your manual. The configuration will probably will be done via your Internet browser.
  • Invader_ScootInvader_Scoot Join Date: 2003-10-13 Member: 21669Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    My house has been smacked by lightning so many times that some of the wires in our walls have become faulty, causing the connection to cut off and reconnect every few seconds sometimes. It also sometimes has extreme lag spikes as you have said. So you might want to check on the wiring throughout your home and see if anything is damaged or not connecting properly.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-Invader Scoot+Jun 21 2004, 10:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Invader Scoot @ Jun 21 2004, 10:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> My house has been smacked by lightning so many times that some of the wires in our walls have become faulty, causing the connection to cut off and reconnect every few seconds sometimes. It also sometimes has extreme lag spikes as you have said. So you might want to check on the wiring throughout your home and see if anything is damaged or not connecting properly. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    if you want to do that you could actualy call your ISP and tell them you are having problems.

make sure to get some one to come out, and then make sure they check your line str.