Reformatting

Nil_IQNil_IQ Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15520Members
edited June 2004 in Off-Topic
<div class="IPBDescription">Uh... I screwed up</div> O.k, I now somehow have two copies of windows installed. Yes, nub haha, very funny, now how do I get rid of it? At no point did it ask me if I wanted to reformat the drive, and I have no idea how to get into the DOS prompt from WinXP to do it the old fasioned (format C:\) way.

All I want to do is format the drive, get rid of EVERYTHING, and re-install windows. I chose "new installation" at the very beginning, which was probably the wrong choice, but I thought that "repair" didn't sound like it was going to reformat anything.

I'm asking because I don't want to end up with THREE copies of windows when i'm done...

I also can't FIND this second copy of windows on the HD, but it hasn't installed over the old once since when I start it up it asks me if I want to start Windows XP home edition or Windows XP home edition.

Secondly, how would I go about having a restraining order put on myself banning me from using all electronics? I am clearly too dumb to own a computar mashine.

Comments

• GrillkohleGrillkohle Join Date: 2003-12-23 Member: 24695Members, Constellation
    During the installation of Windows XP, it asks you to which harddrive you want to install the OS. On that screen (read everything it says!), you can delete and add new partitions, which will require the installation to format whichever partition you deleted, as deleting the partition means that all data on it will be lost.
    Just delete your old C:, and then make a new one. It's really easy.
  • Nil_IQNil_IQ Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15520Members
    So I <b>do</b> select new install?
  • POOP_AkiraPOOP_Akira Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23468Members
    Ahhh! This happend to me too! We had to reinstall windows completely and now when it loads up it asks to load either Windows XP or Windows XP. It hasnt created any new windows folders either. We think if we do the other one the computer will just implode.
  • RuByRuBy Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10732Members
    the best way to do it is by starting the installation at boot instead of doing it within windows. To do this simply set the cd drive as the first device to boot in the bios then insert your cd.
    Oh, and do I want FAT32 or NTFS?
  • zebFishzebFish Join Date: 2003-08-15 Member: 19760Members
    Right, I tried again, this time using <a href='http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxphome/installxpwindowsinstall/indexfullpage.htm' target='_blank'>this</a> guide, and it was no help whatsoever.

At no point did it show the windows license agreement like it was supposed to, nor did it ask me if I wanted to reformat the drive, and that is the whole freaking point! I just want a completely blank hard drive with windows installed, I can work fine from there.

It is <b>definately</b> windows XP home edition (the guide says proffesional at the top but it's the same for both OSes for some reason), but the options the guide is saying should come up arn't. In the end I just gave up and aborted setup, this is getting annoying now.

I just want to reformat the drive but it wont let me! And being windows XP it makes sure it is more or less impossible to get the the dos prompt, if there is in fact a way.
  • JaspJasp Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13076Members
    When you get to the partition screen how many do you have?

You should have a single C: partition, it well then moan at you that windows is allready installed continue, it should then ask what you wish to do choose full format NTFS. Then it should install as normal

If you have more then 1 partition you screwed up somewhere, so you will have to delete the ones you dont need and install over the last 1 remaining.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->the best way to do it is by starting the installation at boot instead of doing it within windows. To do this simply set the cd drive as the first device to boot in the bios then insert your cd.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also make sure you do this trying to reinstall from inside windows is pointless.

If you really are getting stressed with it, get an old win98 bootup disk, stick it in the A: drive choose to bootup with CD support then type format C:, and it should erase everything for a fresh install of windows XP
  • NumbersNotFoundNumbersNotFound Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7556Members
    To make sure the drive is totally clean, you could just get a win98SE bootdisk from bootdisk.com and delete all partitions with FDISK.
  • RuByRuBy Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10732Members
    1. Reboot
    2. Go to the BIOS
    3. Set CD-drive to be the first to boot
    4. Insert XP CD
    5. Reboot
    6. Press any key to boot from cd when it tells you to
    7. Install a fresh copy of XP
    8. Use the same partition
    9. Format when you're given the option