Oh, The Joys Of Texas Hold 'em

JefeJefe Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15734Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">What one can do with 100 bucks.</div> For those not fimiliar with wonderful poker game known as Texas Hold 'em, I'll give you the quick run-down. Everyone, after the ante or blinds, is dealt 2 cards and is allowed to bet. Then 3 cards are dealt face-up that everyone can use (called the flop). Bets, then another, then more betting, then another. Best hand winds.

We had a poker game at my neighbor's house on Saturday night. A 16 person tournament at $100 buy in with no rebuys. You run out of chips, you're gone, and 4th place and up get paid.

4th place: $100
3rd place: $200
2nd place: $500
1st place: $800

Me and my father both entered and started out at seperate tables. After 2 and a half hours of play I have won only one hand and have about 1600 chips (we started with 1500.) 8 people so far have been eliminated, and the rest of the players consolidate to one table. I play about 3 or 4 hands and get no decent cards, and fold before the flop. Next hand I have an ace of hearts and a king of diamonds. My dad, who's sitting across the table, goes all-in. Everyone else folds, but much to my father's surpise, I call his bet. He has ace king, both of spades.

9 times out of 10 in this situation, we would split the pot. Unless one of us pulls a flush that is our fate. The flop comes up, and it's 2 hearts and a spade. Both of us have an equal chance of getting a flush. Next card is another heart. So is the next one. Everyone in the basement goes into an uproar, as my father throws his chips across the table at the big grin on my face.

Ended up in 2nd place and winning 500 bucks.

So uh....anyone else into poker?

Comments

• LikuLiku I, am the Somberlain. Join Date: 2003-01-10 Member: 12128Members
    Me and some friends play Poker at school, it's not allowed, we play small, all in for $1, for we're not big spenders. I won about $10 so far.
  • [WHO]Them[WHO]Them You can call me Dave Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10593Members, Constellation
    I play quite a bit of limit hold 'em on pokerroom.

My Dad keeps telling me that hackers run rampant on there, but I'm really just playing for fun anyways.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    My friends and I play weekly games of $5 buy ins. Once in a while, we play for $50 or so. Im up a couple hundred bucks over the past 6 months so I can't complain. Only time I lost big was to some new girl who has pocket 2's. So she was all scared her hand sucked, but sticks in on this massive pot. I was all happy, eventually going all in, which she matched. I laughed it off as new player... there were 2 more 2's on the flop. Just before I showed my cards, she says "I dont think this is a good hand, I have 2 pairs". We all start as she has 4 of a kind, beating my 3 kings. AAAaaaarrgrgggghhh!
  • JefeJefe Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15734Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-Comprox+Jun 14 2004, 12:07 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Comprox @ Jun 14 2004, 12:07 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> My friends and I play weekly games of $5 buy ins. Once in a while, we play for $50 or so. Im up a couple hundred bucks over the past 6 months so I can't complain. Only time I lost big was to some new girl who has pocket 2's. So she was all scared her hand sucked, but sticks in on this massive pot. I was all happy, eventually going all in, which she matched. I laughed it off as new player... there were 2 more 2's on the flop. Just before I showed my cards, she says "I dont think this is a good hand, I have 2 pairs". We all start as she has 4 of a kind, beating my 3 kings. AAAaaaarrgrgggghhh! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ouch.

Sometimes playing against idiots can be just as hard as playing against experts. It's best to let them eliminate themselves.