Pings

TugBoatTugBoat Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28077Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Teleporting Enemies.</div> Hi,

I have asked many about this, I have constant ping of 20-50, and when Im like a Marine, and someone with a high Ping comes into the server (200+) and comes near me... he starts teleporting, like hes there in front, dissapears, then hes next to me, dissapears and then behind me, thens im usually dead.

I ask this, why does it effect me? Its his conn problem, and it effects me as well, is this a steam problem?

It really pisses me of, its annoying.

Some info on this would be very helpfull if anyone knows.

Thanks.

Comments

• BlueNovemberBlueNovember hax Join Date: 2003-02-28 Member: 14137Members, Constellation
    It effects everyone, and it's entirely the other player's fault. It's just lag at his end. The data he is sending to the server is nto arriving at hte server before it is needed. This makes his hitbox fly all over hte place, making him/her very hard to hit.

It usually causes no problem; as the laggy player is at a greater disadvantage to anyone else, but still, it's rather irritating. You've got to be udnerstanding though; sometimes people just can't afford broadband connections, or are unable to have them due to the communication limitations in their area.

If it really bothers you, play on a server with a ping limit, "Skulkrush" has one I believe.
  • HubrisHubris Join Date: 2004-05-17 Member: 28727Members
    You might want to get the 200+ ping person to check their rates as well. Get them to type Rates 25000 in their console cos sometimes steam does odd things and resets them to 0. I'd know sometimes i get ping of 3000+ on Yo Clan server...
  • napinapi Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14172Members, Constellation
    A rate of 25000 probably isn't a good idea for some one playing on 56K ...

it depends purely on their connection speed and what their bandwidth is being used up by
  • taboofirestaboofires Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9853Members
    Even if you have a good ping, you can appear to teleport to other players if your other variables are set poorly (like cmdrate and updaterate). Or you have a lossy connection, or whatever.
  • BlueNovemberBlueNovember hax Join Date: 2003-02-28 Member: 14137Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-taboofires+Jun 9 2004, 01:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (taboofires @ Jun 9 2004, 01:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Even if you have a good ping, you can appear to teleport to other players if your other variables are set poorly (like cmdrate and updaterate). Or you have a lossy connection, or whatever. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I believe these values are locked by steam as of ns3. Well, with current version at least.
  • taboofirestaboofires Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9853Members
    Only some of them. cmdrate and updaterate definately work, as I can fiddle with them and shoot my ping up to a few thousand (for demostration purposes only).
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    56k: cl_cmdrate 20 cl_updaterate 25 rate 2500
  • fenrixfenrix Join Date: 2003-11-01 Member: 22197Members
    take it from me cause i have that situation where i get 300+ from my whacked out DSL.(i live in the arab gulf) if theres a high lagger around stick to the shadows and unload what ya got when they stop,
    but i think you may have got it the wrong way around, they appear to stop to you and to them they see everyone else teleport around

i know cause my DL manager kicked in while i was playing once, ping shot to just under 2000 and i saw everyone else jump around

failing all that just stick to the low lag servers like [TW]HLADS_NS-4 (61.63.0.98:27015) and the NSarmslab server where ppl with high lag are booted after a while (bad for me, good for you)