General Command Rule

C9AgentC9Agent Join Date: 2004-05-20 Member: 28796Members
Hi guys.

Thought I'd contribute the one overall rule of command that I find sits in every situation, regardless of enemy contact or any other influencial factor. Here it is:

Always remember that the aliens are working fast to capture resource points and obtain upgrades in order to prepare attacks against you. You need to be faster and more efficient than them if you want to win.

In essence, this means that totally irrespective of any other plan you may have in motion at the time, it is essential to keep in the back of your mind the technology level that the aliens have reached. You need to be constantly working toward countering whatever it is that they have. If there is a chink in your armour they will find it. Your job is to make sure there is no such chink.

As an example, notice that it is generally possible to field at least one Onos by the ten minute mark (if that's what they're trying to do). You're going to have to be able to deal with that, either by fielding multiple shotguns with upgrades, or an HMG in response. Or, some other tactic. Just be aware of your clock and what is possible by that stage. Take note of what upgrade chamber they've made (listen for something regenerating, or notice a skulk's ability to eat an entire res node without slowing his biting toward the end).

In other words - pay attention. Be aware of what your enemy can and cannot do. Be ready to counter every shot they are capable of firing. Don't be caught in a situation when you can't deal with the sudden appearance of an Onos, for example. Notice the skill level of your enemy - are their skulks generally victorious against your vanilla marines or are they being eaten alive by your troops? Things like this will reflect the order of upgrades and weapons deployment.

Know your enemy. Be prepared. React quickly to threats. Then do something unexpected to put them on the defence, and press it!

Comments

• MamboKingMamboKing Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27169Members
    That is a good general rule to have. The one I prefer is "always keep your eye on the prize". In other words, you need to destroy hives to win as marines (comms do make the mistake of being too reactive/defensive).
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    a very good rule, also when you get high level tech, keep a goal in mind. I've seen many a fully upgraded team lose becuase they slacked off