Update The Fonrtiersmen Manual

Beer_GogglesBeer_Goggles Join Date: 2004-04-21 Member: 28067Members, Constellation
edited April 2004 in NS General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Babblers are still in there...</div> Whoever does the website might want to update the Frontiersmen manual, it's got some grammatical errors and incorrect information. As of right now, in the description of gorges, babblers are still the 3rd hive ability. To stay in the storyline, you might want to say that gorge have 'evolved' a new ability (bile bomb) and have somehow increased the effectiveness of web by quite a bit, resulting in it as being the 3rd hive ability. But of course, this is only a guess, and the real reason they have changed their abilities is unknown.

Lerk, fade (fade had bile bomb?) and onos all need to be looked at, as well, they're abilities are all wacked out, as well. Use the same storyline above, but still keep the old information for reference.

And I'm sure the damage ratiaos for everything need to changed, but you could just say that up-to-date information of alien damage is not possible due to the cloak-and-dagger nature of the Khaara. Maybe, for every patch/update, an update for the manual might be in order.

As for grammatical errors, I've found one so far.
<!--QuoteBegin-http://www.natural-selection.org/manual/alien_chambers_m.html+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (http://www.natural-selection.org/manual/alien_chambers_m.html)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Function: these growths appear to transport aliens to the active hive farthest from the chamber's location. We understand this around as well as the redemption or blink phenomena – which is to say, more data is required.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That would be for movement chambers. 'Around' should be 'about.'

I would also suggest making the whole manual itself more straight forward in its presentation of data. To me, everything seems to be spread somewhat willy-nilly everywhere, with hotlinks within hotlinks within hotlinks the only way to get to some information.

A final suggestion is to make the manual more prominent on the main page. I know when I start a new game, be it multi or singleplayer, reading the manual is one of the first things I do. And since the Frontiersmen Manual is extremely well-written, it's a shame for it to go unoticed.

I haven't finished reading it, but I'll post if I find any more errors.

For the desciption of bile bomb:
<!--QuoteBegin-http://www.natural-selection.org/manual/alien_fade_observation.html+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (http://www.natural-selection.org/manual/alien_fade_observation.html)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
"If you want to know what it's like inside a bilebomb, here it is: the thump of its decompression feels like a kick to your guts, right to your bones and innards, and the clumps of stuff that settle over you just look evil, like they were made to kill you … which is pretty much true. Other details would include the warning whine of my heavy armor's gauge as it dived from two hundred towards one, and the leg of the forward turret crumpling so it toppled onto its side, still twitching as it pathetically tried to acquire a target. The other turret whined uselessly on its perch behind me, atop the turret factory.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That's not quite accurate.

And if you read the rest of that link, it goes on to have a fade total a base with turrents. A heavy also jumps 20 feet and only his armor takes damage.
<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> My armor took more damage from the twenty foot drop, but I figured it was the better alternative.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I just want things accurate.

Comments