Dirtiest Strat Ever

Act_ChillAct_Chill Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15816Members
edited April 2004 in Frontiersmen Strategy
<div class="IPBDescription">small games only!!!</div> In games of 3v3 or 2v2 the marines are screwed unless you do this strat. I have used it in ALL versions of ns against good players. I would do this 3 games in a row and they would just complain the whole time instead of thinking of how to beat me since this is sooo weak.

What I do is listen for their hive and then pay very close attention to the rts by their hive. They dont want to end the game quick by rushing. In small games they would probably succeed. So in 2v2 or 3v3 they usually all go gorg. When I hear them gestating next to a rt I place an rt there. So then they eitehr go back to skulk, place an o chamber, move on, or call a skulk over. It takes forever for a skulk to kill a rt without stamina so after he destroys one I immediatly place it again. You make think this is a huge waste of res, but in small games if you can keep them to only 1 rt and make them waste res on o chambers to kill rts, switching back to skulk, or spend their time chewing on rts your team can freely move around building rts. This also greatly slows them from going fade of getting 2nd hive which is a HUGE help. You can only build 1 ip and nothing else at the start to have the res to do this.

So what to do with the res I am not spending on maintaning all the rts on the map??? Upgrade armory first. Do not get arms lab first. You have to get jps asap. If one decides to save for onos the jp hmg will rape him. When the armory starts upgrading you will have res to then get an arms lab or if there or at least 2 ochambers attacking an rt you can cc block it. When you get jp shotties have everyone go including yourself and cc block all the o chambers. If they take out your base you will have several cc around map by now. (I do get tf an ob to scan hives and stuff too but how detailed do you want me to get).

It does take awhile in 3v3 for 3 d chambers to be placed and for someone to go fade with only 1 rt. Plus you will get less res from killing marines as it is hard to find one on a small map and its not worth camping a spot to give you an advantage in attacking. If they get a second rt you MUST take it out. I love it when they are like ok you go skulk and kill rt and I will immediatly place the rt. Marines are faster and placing stuff(a click a click a click like med spam)

Comments

• WolvWolv Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 56Members
    This has been mentioned before and is generally frowned upon. A common counter is gestating <i>on</i> the resnode.
  • Gold_LeaderGold_Leader Join Date: 2003-06-16 Member: 17403Members
    As mentioned above, gestating on the res node and rushing marine start will counter this strategy, after all, the marines can't go around building the nodes if they have to defend their base.
  • Act_ChillAct_Chill Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15816Members
    In a small game if the aliens want they can rush the base as skulks and win unless marines spend res on base d or sit in base, but if the marines do either of these they will lose in the long game. Also, I usually just go ahead and place all the rts on the map starting mostly on their side. If you are really good and have time(as in small games) you can actually follow any type of alien around the map by listening. I played 2v1 once and gave constant updates on the position and what the alien was doing on non-team talk just to make the other person mad.

If aliens dont rush in the early game they will lose to this.
  • V_MANV_MAN V-MAN Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6217Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-Act Chill+Apr 1 2004, 09:46 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Act Chill @ Apr 1 2004, 09:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> In a small game if the aliens want they can rush the base as skulks and win unless marines spend res on base d or sit in base, but if the marines do either of these they will lose in the long game. Also, I usually just go ahead and place all the rts on the map starting mostly on their side. If you are really good and have time(as in small games) you can actually follow any type of alien around the map by listening. I played 2v1 once and gave constant updates on the position and what the alien was doing on non-team talk just to make the other person mad.

If aliens dont rush in the early game they will lose to this. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Gestating on the res node blows this strat right out of the water.

Only sure way for rines to win in small games (2 vs 2 or 3 vs 3) is to rush and hit the hive fast otherwise the aliens all go gorg and and lame up everything then go onos in like 5 minutes
  • afratnikovafratnikov Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18931Members
    I guess in small games the best defence is a couple of electrified TFs, since turrets take too long to build.
  • ForlornForlorn Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2634Banned
    <!--QuoteBegin-Wolv+Apr 1 2004, 10:54 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Wolv @ Apr 1 2004, 10:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> This has been mentioned before and is generally frowned upon. A common counter is gestating <i>on</i> the resnode. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's not a counter at all

All the comm has to do is cap every node on the map right at the start, there is no phsyical way to beat the comm's to the nodes

Yes marines have the res to do this.
  • HydraHydra Join Date: 2003-06-14 Member: 17366Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2004
    Assuming the map has 6 free nodes at the start, the comm could cap them all right at the start. 6x15=90.

The aliens would have plenty of time to see it coming if they see all the nodes having an rt on them, and munch them as skulks thus destroying your res investment.

Obviously this is a very poor way to spend your res when you could upgrade your armory right off the bat, observatory, perhaps a turret factory+elec to defend base.

In a small game like 2vs2, and 2vs3 normal strategies that involve manpower are shot in some way. The aliens benefit from a non-universal res pool in small games, and the marines benefit from the shared res pool/shared upgrades in large games.

EDIT
    Just in case you didn't catch my line of thought, 6 is not how many are on the map.
  • BreakfastSausagesBreakfastSausages Join Date: 2002-12-19 Member: 11148Members
    A 3 on 3 game where aliens have 1 node aliens will get the same flow as a 9v9 game where aliens have 3 nodes. (assuming rfk is can be balanced out of the equation on average)

So, if you spend ALL your res on blocking rts, aliens will still get the same res as a slightly below average normal game. But also you will have a poor res flow because you cant spare marines to build all those nodes.

Also, marines do not have the res to drop every node at the start, most maps have at least 8 OPEN nodes which would cost 120 res to cap, even if you skip every other structure (suicidal) you can't afford to cap them all.
    Read my post before responding. The aliens dont gestate on the rts 99% of the time, so when they start to gestate then you drop it. You dont announce you are doing this. Then when you do this once so they waste some res at the begining then you drop all the other rts. Mean while the other people on your team are building rts without having to worry about aliens b/c the are munching on other rts. The first rt a skulk kills could be considered a waste, but if you immediately place another rt the skulk will be out of stamina and this will take forever to kill. Both teams get few kills in small games and 1 rt for 3 aliens means 1 res every 12 seconds. They need this res for chambers and hive and some will waste the little res they have on o chambers. When they destroy a rt as a skulk you need to be able to replace it before they can gestate on it. Even if you do succeed, you should have 3 marines(comm can get out if rt is semi close) to but rape you asap.

There are 2 counters to this. They ignore all the rts you drop and just rush your base(no base d b/c of all rts), but in small games this will always give the win to aliens so most dont do it. The other is all 3 of them prevent the marines from getting any rts also and 1 place 3 d, 1 place hive, and one go fade.
  • SaltzBadSaltzBad Join Date: 2004-02-23 Member: 26833Members
    edited April 2004
    Thats mostly silly - unless you can't keep up with killing their RTs and need to dent their rate, or to gain a tidbit of time with a rare instance of this fairly weak tactic, its a total waste.

2 Shotgunners, which cost 20 res, can easily get to a node in a small game, both empty their clip into it and add 1 knife slash, and its a dead node. And assuming they're putting up RTs, 2 Skulks (1 gorge on building duty) vs 2 Shotgunners is a fairly easy battle.

If they don't drop RTs, you just start pressuring their hive with some static D while they don't have lifeforms yet, cap a few of your own and ideally take down their 1 base RT with a shotty/catpack rush - forcing them to gorge again, leaving lifeforms out of the game even longer.

While mildly dependant on your marines skill, small games don't need 'supar leet secrat trix!111' to be won.

Edit :
    As for counters to it, an unbuilt RT has 50% HP. A Skulks Adren bar depletes about 60% of an RTs HP. Assuming 2 Skulks work together, they'll take out each RT fairly quick and using only half their Adren bar a turn - and you likely wouldn't be able to afford RTs for both eventualities, the Gorge running around for other nearby RTs or staying at the node, meaning one down every ~20 seconds (in other words, you'd need 3 active nodes to support the dropping alone), odds are decent they'll outpace you res wise at that rate.
  • stooopidstooopid Join Date: 2004-02-19 Member: 26709Members
    Its great to see an unconventional strategy like this. One observation and one problem:
    <ul><li>Economics
    There are some encouraging economics behind this approach. First, looking at the difference between the amount of time it takes for a skulk to take down an RT, vs. how much time it takes to accumulate the resources to put down the RT (or, how long it takes for this strategy to pay for itself); you will find this quantity is slightly negative... which would indicate that it is not helping you, <b>however</b>, in the small game the time value of each player early in the round is critical. Trading in some res accumulation in the early game for res denial in the middle game seems smart!
    </li><li>Teamwork
    This could never work on a pub. But i'm sure you all knew that. Pub players would just get mad and vote you out of the chair instead of doing their job.</li></ul>
    -stooop
  • ElvenThiefElvenThief aka Elven Thief (ex. NS Programmer) Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8754Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    edited April 2004
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Teamwork
    This could never work on a pub. But i'm sure you all knew that. Pub players would just get mad and vote you out of the chair instead of doing their job.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This statement is blatently wrong.
    You can get your team to do anything on a pub if you only use communication. Not just waypoints but actually telling each individual what you want to do, etc. It goes along way to coordinating any team.
    But I'm sure you all knew that.
    edited April 2004
    <!--QuoteBegin-E-Th33ph+Apr 3 2004, 09:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (E-Th33ph @ Apr 3 2004, 09:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> You can get your team to do anything on a pub if you only use communication. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    so, you can try to rationalize to your team why you are dumping their res all the way across the map. If they aren't familiar with the strategy they may go along with it for a while, but sooner or later they'll hit that little "vote the commander out" button and you'll be a grunt once more...

edit:
    thats not to say that this strat can't work, just that a lot of people who haven't played it through before are going to have serious reservations... and pubs aren't the place to try unconventional wisdom...
    <!--QuoteBegin-TrueChaos+Apr 1 2004, 08:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (TrueChaos @ Apr 1 2004, 08:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Assuming the map has 6 free nodes at the start, the comm could cap them all right at the start. 6x15=90.

The aliens would have plenty of time to see it coming if they see all the nodes having an rt on them, and munch them as skulks thus destroying your res investment.

Obviously this is a very poor way to spend your res when you could upgrade your armory right off the bat, observatory, perhaps a turret factory+elec to defend base.

In a small game like 2vs2, and 2vs3 normal strategies that involve manpower are shot in some way. The aliens benefit from a non-universal res pool in small games, and the marines benefit from the shared res pool/shared upgrades in large games.

EDIT
    Just in case you didn't catch my line of thought, 6 is not how many are on the map. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You are 100% wrong

First, you only cap 5 nodes, but the nodes you cap are the "alien" type nodes.

Keep in mind this only works on 4v4 or less.

Next go have your marines build them.

They will be kept at one node.

If they start killing your node, you sell it and then replace it as soon as it's finished. You lose 6 res that way. Aliens will be completely unable to stop this and marine expansion will encompas the map.

I've tested this with both good and bad players, and it almost never fails. It only fails when the comm messes up, or the marine's can't aim.

Any other questions?
    edited April 2004
    The key is your team is building rts while you keep them to 1 rt. If you get shotguns and kill their nodes to keep them to one well you wasted res on sg and you didnt build any rts. This is for 3v3 so only 2 marines can walk around. Even if 2 marines try to kill a rt with sg they could get ambushed.

When you have 5+ rts and they have 1, then you will see the benifit of this strat. This has worked for me everytime with good and bad players and no one has ever bitched except for the aliens calling me an exploiter. HAHAHAHAHA

Any good player that has played ns since 1.04 knows about this strat. But of course there arent that many good players from 1.04 compared to the billions of people who now play. This has worked in all versions and is still a good strat.
    <!--QuoteBegin-Forlorn+Apr 4 2004, 10:48 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Forlorn @ Apr 4 2004, 10:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> It only fails when the comm messes up, or the marine's can't aim.

Any other questions? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Of course, this argument can be applied to anything.

Consider the shotgun rush, it only fails because:

1] The comm messed up (sent you to the wrong hive, didn't drop meds)

2] Marines can't aim
    Actually with sg rush the marines can get ambushed, spored, or the sg bug can get a good player killed. This strat will lose if they rush, but like I said if they do no matter what in 3v3 this will force you to lose anyways.
    <!--QuoteBegin-Act Chill+Apr 5 2004, 02:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Act Chill @ Apr 5 2004, 02:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Actually with sg rush the marines can get ambushed, spored, or the sg bug can get a good player killed. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You can't get spored if the aliens don't have a lerk. This is a shotgun rush.
    As for the ambushing part, meds + marine aim solves that.
    As for the shotgun bug, not much you can do about the bug.
    edited April 2004
    A skulk WILL see the marines leave the base together with sg. Thats its downfall usually b/c this gives aliens time to setup ambushes or go lerk(only needs 5 res). If you got 1/2 way to hive without encountering an alien then it will usually win.
    <!--QuoteBegin-Gold Leader+Apr 5 2004, 12:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Gold Leader @ Apr 5 2004, 12:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Forlorn+Apr 4 2004, 10:48 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Forlorn @ Apr 4 2004, 10:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> It only fails when the comm messes up, or the marine's can't aim.

Any other questions? <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Of course, this argument can be applied to anything.

Consider the shotgun rush, it only fails because:

1] The comm messed up (sent you to the wrong hive, didn't drop meds)

2] Marines can't aim <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    But see, I can guarentee a shotty rush to fail -

SC's anyone?

Marines are powerless against cloak, and esp. focus if they go with an SG rush.
  • NecrosisNecrosis The Loquacious Sage Join Date: 2003-08-03 Member: 18828Members, Constellation
    edited April 2004
    NS doesn't really work well in small games, hence Combat. But in any case....

In very small games on pubs I tend to gorge and hoard res, going straight for upgrades while my teammates generally rush MS and lay the smack down. Its a pretty desperate strat, but if the marines have spent lots of res on RTs, and you've got 3 DC, then you can really romp through MS.

Edit-

Of course as others have pointed out, you could always drop some sensory and ambush MS.... or MCs and go nuts on bitespam.
    1 rt for 3 aliens with low kills takes forever to get higher lifeforms. Someone needs to put up hive and chambers so only 1 can go higher alien. Its all about the jp rush. 3 aliens especially without web and most dont go lerk in small games will find it impossible to kill. If they have o chambers you cc block.
  • NecrosisNecrosis The Loquacious Sage Join Date: 2003-08-03 Member: 18828Members, Constellation
    CC and node blocking.... its certainly a dirty strat, I don't see many players getting away with this on an admined server.
  • im_lostim_lost TWG Rule Guru Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15861Members
    I don't see many good small games.
    Most people dont get mad at the end b/c the first reaction is like omg the marine com is a nub and is wasting all this res. Then at the end its like omg the comm is an exploiter that b a s t e r e d.
    I hope thats not you dodging the swear filter.
    Umm.....No I was just making it look cooler....lol. S O R R Y ! ! !

Regardless of what other people say this always works for me at least(the first time you do this you will probably mess up somewhere). The hardest thing is stopping them from getting the 2nd rt, b/c thats double the res flow. It seems that you waste res with rt blocking, but you take their res and time away and you should be building rts at the same time. If they are very persistant for a rt next to their hive you can <b>cc block the node</b>. That really gets them mad!!!
  • im_lostim_lost TWG Rule Guru Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15861Members
    I think everyone will agree that CC blocking a node is exploiting, since there is no way that it could be useful for you.

Here's my counter in a 1v1 game. Save to 50 res, doing whatever you feel like in that time. It will only take 100 seconds. Make sure you are a gorge in an empty hive at the end of the 100 seconds. Put up the hive. Two minutes later, you can put up 3 mc's. There should be a marine node in the hive you just put up, so put one of the mc's close enough to help you bile bomb it later. The other two can go in that hive, or you can have 1 in each hive. Then you grab adrenaline. 280 seconds into the game you have bile bomb and adrenaline. Bile bomb the nearest rt, standing close enough so it can't be replaced, then drop your own (you will have enough res immediately). Find a couple more rt's to replace like this. Electricity is the only counter to this. However, you can always place an OC really close to the rt, then bile bomb it from a distance. A little bit of heal spray and the OC won't die before the rt is down. Of course, you don't get res quite fast enough if there are 2 aliens, and 2 marines means that you will probably be stopped (if the comm is paying attention).
    1v1 games are imposiible in 3.0 to win. In 1.04 you had an ok chance and in 2.01 you had a small chance.
    <!--QuoteBegin-i'm lost+Apr 12 2004, 12:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (i'm lost @ Apr 12 2004, 12:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I think everyone will agree that CC blocking a node is exploiting, since there is no way that it could be useful for you. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I disagree. It is clearly legit. Denying movement/res to the enemy is allowed as long as you don't modify the game in any way.