Lockups

SnidelySnidely Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13098Members
<div class="IPBDescription">NS freezes</div> Let's get this stuff out of the way. I don't think it's needed, but you never know:
512MB RAM
~3.0GHz Athlon
GeForce 4800Ti
80 gig HD with ~40 gig free.
SB! Live 5.1
Windows ME

Okay, here's the story.

I recently downloaded the Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow demo. I was getting low frame rates, so I thought I'd better update my drivers (you know, the Detonator ones). No problems there. I use them, SC:PT works like a charm. All is well.

However, I later tried playing NS. All went well, until I tried to disconnect (by clicking the disconnect button as opposed to quitting or anything): NS froze, looping the last sounds over and over. I waited 30 secs, no change. Caps Lock light was working, so I tried alt-tabbing, no joy. Ctrl-alt-del once. Nope. Ctrl-alt-del twice. No response. I had to hard reset. I dismissed it as an isolated incident.

However, this exact same thing happened again later, when I tried to quit a game. And again, and again, and again.

Could it really be the drivers that's doing this? I've been playing NS since 1.0 came out, and this week is the only time I've had this kind of problem with it.

Help would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• JaspJasp Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13076Members
    edited March 2004
    This is a common problem for anyone playing NS on steam, since the last update nearly everyones HLs crashs when they try to exit. Thier are many speculations as to what causes it, and even a temp fix that may or may not work. For now id just wait until value fixses the problem.