Generator Hiding

ColHapablapColHapablap Join Date: 2004-01-31 Member: 25864Members
In the map ns_nothing do you think that in generator(middle of the map) the overhang should be taking away? I find it very cheap when theres a lerk gases the rines or when theres a gorge bile bombing our stuff.
I just want to know what everyone else thinks.

Comments

• MintmanMintman Join Date: 2003-05-30 Member: 16866Members
    I think it's a nice feature of the room personally. Grenades, GL or marines stood on each other soon get rid of anything up there.
  • ColHapablapColHapablap Join Date: 2004-01-31 Member: 25864Members
    Ya, true but at the beginning of the game its very annoying.
  • Trent_HawkinsTrent_Hawkins Join Date: 2003-03-25 Member: 14875Members
    It's a double edged sword. the marines can use it to their advantage too. I remember in 1.04 a jetpacker sneaked up there, and built a phase gate. It was a while before we could get them out, and by that time the seiges went off a couple times.

Without this overhang, the marines have it fairly easy defending that hive; the only ways in are long straight hallways. With the overhang, if a skulk even makes it near the hive, he can scale the wall and parasite everyone that phases in. I don't see what's unfair about it. Think of it as the one hive where the aliens can get payback by effectively having their own seiges.

And in the game's where I've been up there, it always seems like outfitting the marine team with jetpacks is their commanders next priority.
    /me counts to three and throws a holy hand grenade at Trent Hawkins' sig
  • gazOzzgazOzz Work's a ... Join Date: 2003-12-25 Member: 24747Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    He was talking about Generator room not Viaduct Hive... Holding the overhang in Gen is a waste of time for aliens if marines just ignore them... Esp. at the beginning a gorge there means an alien player out of the game wasting 10 res... And if a lerk stays there, 30 res creature stand useless just to control 1 res node... Nothing to bother... Just ignore until GLs, JPs, or Hand grenades become available...
  • NikonNikon Join Date: 2003-09-29 Member: 21313Members, Constellation
    meh, three rines can get something up there, or just research nades at the armory.
  • UKchaosUKchaos Join Date: 2002-08-10 Member: 1132Members
    The balcony railings need to be made into a func_illusionary so you can shoot through them. Otherwise its fine.
  • ColHapablapColHapablap Join Date: 2004-01-31 Member: 25864Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-UKchaos+Mar 10 2004, 04:19 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (UKchaos @ Mar 10 2004, 04:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> The balcony railings need to be made into a func_illusionary so you can shoot through them. Otherwise its fine. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ya that would be nice, or if you have some SMART rines u can make a tower but its hard while ur being gassed.
  • kolokolkolokol Join Date: 2002-11-18 Member: 9166Members
    That room is hard to take as it is. The balconys just a feature..live with it.
  • SandstormSandstorm Join Date: 2003-09-25 Member: 21205Members
    Generator is one of those important chokepoints on ns_nothing. For those who aren't good with map names, think of the map with Red Room. If marines hold Generator, they can easily attack Viaduct while holding off alien attacks by halting the elevator. Generator is also within sieging range of 4 resource nodes, as I recall. I do miss the pit though.
    Yeah, with no pit to appear from you have to be able to hide on the platform!

I had everyone on the main server I play on checking that pit everytime they went into generator. Teeheehee.
  • BallistoBallisto Join Date: 2003-05-19 Member: 16503Members
    Worse than that is the big red vent in the middle. The most campable marine reloc. With 4 gls spamming away, it's impossible to take. They keep getting free ammo from the armory. Onos can't get up there, fades get shredded, lerks likewise, and skulks get owned. Dunno what you can do about it.

(Note... I haven't actually explored that room since 3.0 came out... so correct me if I'm wrong).
  • im_lostim_lost TWG Rule Guru Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15861Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Ballisto+Mar 10 2004, 07:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Ballisto @ Mar 10 2004, 07:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Worse than that is the big red vent in the middle. The most campable marine reloc. With 4 gls spamming away, it's impossible to take. They keep getting free ammo from the armory. Onos can't get up there, fades get shredded, lerks likewise, and skulks get owned. Dunno what you can do about it. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That room isn't as bad. There are no rt's in there, so all you have to do is slowly destroy stuff without giving them rfk. As a marine, you need jp's to get in <i>or</i> to get out. So, if marines aren't trying to leave, then get the third hive up. You do this by dropping other structures for the siege to hit instead of hitting the hive, assuming you have saved up lots of res while marines sit around there. This is assuming that it is their final base.