Alaska & Wolves

KhaimKhaim Join Date: 2002-06-28 Member: 841Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
edited March 2004 in Off-Topic
<div class="IPBDescription">Oh yes, that's right, another topic.</div> Here goes nothing, right?

Anyway, as many of you know by now, thanks to many different topics in these forums at NS.org and many other places, wolves are being hunted(by air even) now in Alaska. Recently, the Governor of Alaska increased the number that are going to be killed, and considering this is immidiately after/durring the wolf mating season, a lot of females with pups are going to get shot, so lots of broken/dead wolf families etc. Sure, according to the average-joe interpretation, wolves are just evil beings out to eat our children, right? Negative folks, there's been very very few instances of wolves every attacking humans in North America, and the large majority of those involved wolves going to absolute extreme lengths to get food, and really, if you were that hungry, wouldn't you do the same too?

--Anyway, point of this being, a friend of mine came up with a 'plan' lately, I'm going to simply post it here, follow it or don't, your choice, I'm not trying to force anyone into doing anything, simply posting what I believe is right here... Thank you to those of you that do participate in this and to those of you who pass this on. *bows to those of you that do either or both of said things*

And the 'Plan' As directly quoted...
<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
HERE IS THE PLAN: Every Two Weeks, get as many people as you can, to write a personal letter opposing the decision to treat wolves as trophy game and mail it to the Governor of Alaska. If nothing happens within a months time, start sending them every week. Writing something along the lines of 'how you would feel if your family were run to exhaustion in the woods then shot?" (in a non-threatening way) will work best!

Attn: Governor Frank H. Murkowski
State Capitol
P.O. Box 110001
Juneau, AK 99811-0001
...I can't make a difference alone...so please help me and post this in your livejournal, deviant journal, webpage, anywhere for all your friends to see...
<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

'Luck.

Comments

• Crono5Crono5 Join Date: 2003-07-22 Member: 18357Members
    Though I think hunting wolf as trophy sport is almost sickening, I know nothing about Alaska, and can only assume that there's twelve-million+ animal's rights groups that are learning about the situation and know how to confront it much more effectivley and efficentley than I can. I hope this law is ended soon, though, I've always had a distinctive liking and fascination of wolves.
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    Personally I think hunting in general is stupid, I mean comon, it's totally tilted in your direction. Though I would be for it if "hunting" was going up against that bear in H2h combat with a knife maybe or less, then you could really display its head if you killed it...
    But I think im missing something here, why are people hunting wolves again?
  • QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Its something "New" to kill.

And frankly I agree with you there. If you can take a bear with just a knife, you can keep the damned head and hunt em all you want, I think.

Wolves, I'd say with a cut on your neck and no clothes, no weapons. Thats fair.

Either way, hunting em is sick. I'll try.
  • MulletMullet Join Date: 2003-04-28 Member: 15910Members, Constellation
    Why are they going to kill them?
  • MoquiaoMoquiao Join Date: 2003-05-09 Member: 16168Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Mullet+Mar 9 2004, 03:11 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Mullet @ Mar 9 2004, 03:11 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Why are they going to kill them? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    humans.

lol we as people suck.. its true...there is no real reason.. they claim overcrowding. and this is to reduce the populus... but hmm i smell bs.
  • LikuLiku I, am the Somberlain. Join Date: 2003-01-10 Member: 12128Members
    They're doing this to keep the population down, if I remember correctly.
  • xioutlawixxioutlawix Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7118Members, Constellation
    I don't see how the governor of alaska could potentially make a profit off allowing the hunting of wolves, or why he'd be willing to risk the downpour of animal rights groups on his head needlessly, so maybe someone with a little more intimate knowledge on why this is going on could elaborate? Apparently its to control the population (I imagine), can someone validate this claim? Or at least provide some counter-point evidence as to what the governor stands to gain by allowing this?
  • BadKarmaBadKarma The Advanced Literature monsters burned my house and gave me a 7 Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8260Members
    Their pests. If they are killing livestock then **** yea, lower the pop. I dont see the appeal of sport hunting them, i dont imagine they taste all that good. But if livestock is being threatened, then by all means lower the population.
  • Spyder_MonkeySpyder_Monkey Vampire-Ninja-Monkey Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 8Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    edited March 2004
    Ok, this isn't the discussion forum.

I'm going to add my two cents because I just spent the last three years of my life in Alaska.

This is called population control. While I am not anti-wolf, I do respect the rights of various Mooses (Meese? Moosi?) and deer to live their lives in peace and harmony. Right now, wolves are endangering that, and that needs to be curbed. You know why? Because we're the only species on Earth who have the capability of preventing the other species from dying out. (Something about opposable thumbs). If elephants everywhere banded together and tramples human kind to the point at which we were endangered, would you be so quick to stand up for the elephants that were trying to wipe you out? Yes, I respect wolves as a species that needs to be protected, but not at the expense of another species.

Yes, there could be a better way to handle this situation... mass migration, tranquilizing/moving the wolves to environments where they are endangered or low in numbers, but all in all, I think Alaska made the right decision for the situation they were in.

Now, take this issue to Discussion, or I will be forced to spit in your general direction.
This discussion has been closed.