Can you help me?

AldarisAldaris Join Date: 2002-03-25 Member: 351Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Sound card not working</div>First topic ever, so I'm bound to be flamed

Some weeks ago, while in the middle of windows, I was plugging my headphones into the sound card when it slipped out of the pci slot (it doesnt quite fit so I haven't been able to screw the card in). Ever since then my comp will not detect the sound card. I know it still works cos I've tried it in another comp and windows found it.

Whenever I install drivers, it asks me to reset as normal, but when I load it up again the drivers no longer seem to be installed. All the IRQs are set to PnP/PCI in my BIOS. Also IRQ 6 seems to be missing (not listed in BIOS or windows), not sure if that has to do with anything. The PCI slots still work. Its a Soundblaster PCI 16 and im running win 98 SE. Its a AMD K7 series motherboard.

Thanks. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• VenmochVenmoch Join Date: 2002-08-07 Member: 1093Members
    I remember reading somewhere that if you headphone jack hits the back of you sound card you can short something out, that may be what has happened (If you have done this it is something in you computer that you've fried)
  • Sgt_XSgt_X Join Date: 2002-03-01 Member: 261Members
    A. Have you made sure your card is securly in the slot.

B. Did you take it out and check if it has been damaged.

C. Have you tried swapping it into another computer?
  • AldarisAldaris Join Date: 2002-03-25 Member: 351Members, Constellation
    A: It is.
    B:No damage at all
    C: Yes, my bro's computer, and it detects the card just fine
  • LegionnairedLegionnaired Join Date: 2002-04-30 Member: 552Members, Constellation
    Have you checked other slots?

Just a thought, try using another PCI slot.
  • MoleculorMoleculor Namer-of-Bob Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 9Members
    Take the card out. Put it back in. It should 'click' when it's in securely. Often times I find I'll think it's in when it isn't.

After that, try getting Windows to detect new hardware, and getting your install disk for your drivers and reinstalling them.
  • AldarisAldaris Join Date: 2002-03-25 Member: 351Members, Constellation
    God ######, I love you guys! It now works. After weeks fo anguish, of wanting to beat up my comp with a wet kipper, something so simple as it not being in the bloody slot properly was the problem. Don't believe I didn't notice it. Thanks again. Oh well