Linux Help

GWARGWAR Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2297Members, Contributor
<div class="IPBDescription">2 Problems</div> My project this weekend was to get Redhat 9 running on my home computer, so far I have gotten almost everything running to my liking but I still have two things I cant figure out.

1. How do I access my removeable fat32 drive? I googled for help but all the pages did was confirm that linux does indeed support fat32, I just dont know how.

2. Im stuck at 800x600 resolution, I attempted a install @1024x768 but I wound up with a blank screen. Im hoping that the Nvidia linux drivers will help but they wont install because I have to close X server (Extremely confusing) How do I close it and install the drivers?

Comments

• GWARGWAR Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2297Members, Contributor
    Bleh, still stuck on this. I kinda figured out how to mount drives but fstab is giving me trouble
  • SkulkBaitSkulkBait Join Date: 2003-02-11 Member: 13423Members
    1. I don't know any of the RedHat special tools, but the standard way to mount other partitions/harddrives is using the 'mount' command on the command line (as root). if I have lost you so far, then your going to have to wait 'till I've had a chance to look around. Otherwise, the command works like this: 'mount <i>device</i> <i>directory</i>', so my guess would be either 'mount /dev/hda1 /mnt' or 'mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt'. This should mount the Fat filesystem at /mnt. Fat filesystems are tricky though, beecause they don't contain permission information, so root may be the only user who has access.

2. You might be able to do this through the program that you use to login, in the shutdown menu if its there. Otherwise you have to be root on the command line, run '/sbin/init 3', you may have to log out of X before it will shutdown (don't remember, its been so long since i've used a standard init...). Now you are in a command line only mode (you can get back using '/sbin/init 5')
  • duvelduvel Join Date: 2004-02-09 Member: 26318Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    why your fstab gives problems can be due to your kernel config, at first you have to check your kernel if the drivers are loaded for partition support.

then it must be something like this:
    mount -t vfat /dev/hda2 /home/test
    [command] [parameter] [partition] [device] [mount point]
    try 'man mount' and first check what kinda fat partition you have before mounting.
    try 'man fdisk' and check devicename to be shure it's the right partition you want.

for resolution options again check if your kernel driver support is ok, if it's a g-force card and drivers are ok then it's still possible it's not working on 1024x768.

when compiling da kernel IT MATTERS if some drivers are dynamic or static loaded.
    i started with red hat and suse, them are both crap and can't be configgerd just like u want it cuz of their user-friendly input and multiple configs.
  • GWARGWAR Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2297Members, Contributor
    Yes, the mount worked fine (I have music now! yay.)

I need the drivers for 3d acceleration anyway, in order to get them I have to startup with inittab default = 3 to start in command line without X server running.

Just one question, once im done in the console how do I get back to inittab 5 from the console?

Thanks for the help

-Gwar
  • duvelduvel Join Date: 2004-02-09 Member: 26318Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    dunno dude

rebooting/shutdown options try:
    'man shutdown' and 'man reboot'

when x freezes try:
    ctrl-alt-backspace

init option try:
    'man init'

for your 3d card you can download latest 2.4.x kernel from:
    <a href='http://www.kernel.org/' target='_blank'>http://www.kernel.org/</a>