What Did You Guys Do To Ns?!?!?!

HuntyHunty Join Date: 2003-08-09 Member: 19244Members
Since i couldnt get steam to work(and since steam support is nil,and valve needless to say,didnt give a damn...),i tried out the NS 3.0 beta 3 servers on WON.

Combat - good idea,bad implementation.I seriously dont know what you guys were smoking when you made combat,but in the 3 vs 3 games i was playing,i noticed some INCREDIBLE things....

-Lerk happily sitting there biting CC,while 3 marines were frantically pumping shotgun shells into him.We had to use 4 shells each to kill him.Yes thats right,the lerk just SAT there,and required 12 shotgun shells for all 3 marines to kill him.

-Skulks running in straight line into mass,level 3,HMG fire,without dying.My GOD.This is even worse than the lerk!What did you do...give skulks 666,666 HP and armor?!?!?!In NS 2.01,if skulks had foolishingly tried running in a straight line to me,they DIED with level 0 LMG pratically instantly....not even mentioning HMG here.....

-Hive taking mass shotgun and HMG fire without dying(NO GORG HEALING).We left 1 guy with a HMG to guard base,me and another guy(him with shotgun,i had hmg),we snucked to the hive and emptied mag after mag into it.I managed to get 2 and a half mag of level 3 HMG fire into it,while the other guy managed to get nearly 3 full shotgun clips off,before skulks came in and we got owned by their massive toughness.One skulk deliberately sat there while spamming chuckle as we kept shooting him TO NO AVAIL.When we ran out of ammo,he then killed us.I estimate we did slightly over 10k damage to the hive without any gorgs healing.You simply havent seen **** till you see a skulk,sitting there,spamming chuckle,as 2 marines empty their hmg and shotgun ammo into him,green blood flying everywhere for about 4+ seconds straight........till THE MARINES run out of ammo and die.

-Marines are seriously screwed,strategy wise.Firstly,aleins cna leave their hive COMPLETELY undefneded.Yes you heard me.Oh,hive under attack?Celerity skulk to the rescue!CC under attack?Oh **** by the time we get there the CC will have taken countless damage JUST BECAUSE MARINES ARE SO DAMN SLOW.Not to mention all the **** alien HP or whatever you guys did to them......

Comments

• SariselSarisel .::' ( O ) ';:-. .-.:;' ( O ) '::. Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18557Members, Constellation
    now <b>that</b> was a <b>breath</b> of <b>fresh air</b>!
  • AkfekaAkfeka Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 6991Members
    Public Service Anouncement:

The new NS (3.0) takes advantage of fixed hitboxes that rely on the updated version of Half Life.

The WON version of Half Life is still 1.1.1.0 Therefore, the hitboxes are not fixed.

However, Xenoforms still have the radically increased life.

As a result, all WON games will be drastically tipped in the favor of the Kharaa players.

Someone with better information feel free to correct me.

Also: <a href='http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41193' target='_blank'>http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/in...showtopic=41193</a>
  • HuntyHunty Join Date: 2003-08-09 Member: 19244Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Akfeka+Feb 12 2004, 12:25 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Akfeka @ Feb 12 2004, 12:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Public Service Anouncement:

The new NS (3.0) takes advantage of fixed hitboxes that rely on the updated version of Half Life.

The WON version of Half Life is still 1.1.1.0 Therefore, the hitboxes are not fixed.

However, Xenoforms still have the radically increased life.

As a result, all WON games will be drastically tipped in the favor of the Kharaa players.

Someone with better information feel free to correct me.

Also: <a href='http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41193' target='_blank'>http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/in...showtopic=41193</a> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That still doesnt explain stationery skulks surviving over 1000 damage,unless skulk HP got boosted up to incredible levels.Same things with lerks.Dont believe me,go play NS 2.01.....shoot lerk with level 3 shotgun pointblank...HE DIES......hitboxes for lerk and skulks arent screwed THAT badly.......
  • SalamanSalaman Join Date: 2002-11-23 Member: 9711Members
    I believe you're sadly mistaken as the skulk still feels like he's made of paper and a lerk tends to die quickly to shotgun. Maybe the aliens were using a bit of umbra? You know...yellow clouds that the lerk shoots, blocks 2/3 of your bullets...

Seeing how you have no idea that the base skulk hp is still a measly 70/10, I'd say you're probably a marine stacker and should try playing the other half of the game so you can get a clue on what you're talking about.
  • UNKNOWN16UNKNOWN16 Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15708Members
    from what i have heard, won 3.0 beta is totaly bugged to ****, and you shouldn't be playing a steam game on won.
    <!--QuoteBegin-Rage against the Pepsi machine+Feb 12 2004, 12:40 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Rage against the Pepsi machine @ Feb 12 2004, 12:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I believe you're sadly mistaken as the skulk still feels like he's made of paper and a lerk tends to die quickly to shotgun. Maybe the aliens were using a bit of umbra? You know...yellow clouds that the lerk shoots, blocks 2/3 of your bullets...

Seeing how you have no idea that the base skulk hp is still a measly 70/10, I'd say you're probably a marine stacker and should try playing the other half of the game so you can get a clue on what you're talking about. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I guess you did NOT read the post.

If there was umbra...i would have mentioned it.On 2nd thought,i wouldnt have made the post.I KNOW umbra is supposed to block 2/3rd of the bullets.The lerk biting the CC did NOT have umbra on him.Neither did the skulk at the hive.Neither did the skulks rushing marine start against mass level 3 HMG fire.Either the server has some SERIOUSLY FUBARed mods on it,or theres a major problem somewhere else.

And there is no such thing as stacking marines when its a 3 vs 3 FOR GODS SAKE.
  • a_civiliana_civilian Likes seeing numbers Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12041Members, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead
    edited February 2004
    An unupgraded Lerk dies from two unupgraded shotgun shells. An unupgraded Skulk dies from 5 unupgraded HMG bullets. This is fact.

What you experienced was either a bug (possibly with WON, as others have stated) or a problem with the server.
    <!--QuoteBegin-a civilian+Feb 12 2004, 12:44 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (a civilian @ Feb 12 2004, 12:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> An unupgraded Lerk dies from two unupgraded shotgun shells. An unupgraded Skulk dies from 5 unupgraded HMG bullets. This is fact.

What you experienced was either a bug or a problem with the server. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yea,i guess me and the other 2 marines were hallucinating or something?And the 3 alien players were hallucinating too,as they "believed" that they were actually taking the damage and surviving.....
  • UNKNOWN16UNKNOWN16 Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15708Members
    edited February 2004
    hunt i think u missed the part that says 3.0 won is BUGGED, playing off steam seams to do some strange **** to the game.
  • SalamanSalaman Join Date: 2002-11-23 Member: 9711Members
    A severe bug with the WON version seems to be the most plausible explanation. However, what I meant in regards to the stacking comment, was that you should experience the issue from the alien perspective, and if your skulk/lerk is "teh jesus" then there is a genuine problem, rather than a flawed observation.
  • a_civiliana_civilian Likes seeing numbers Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12041Members, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead
    edited February 2004
    <!--QuoteBegin-Hunty+Feb 12 2004, 12:47 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Hunty @ Feb 12 2004, 12:47 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-a civilian+Feb 12 2004, 12:44 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (a civilian @ Feb 12 2004, 12:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> An unupgraded Lerk dies from two unupgraded shotgun shells.  An unupgraded Skulk dies from 5 unupgraded HMG bullets.  This is fact.

What you experienced was either a bug or a problem with the server. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yea,i guess me and the other 2 marines were hallucinating or something?And the 3 alien players were hallucinating too,as they "believed" that they were actually taking the damage and surviving.....<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Read the post again, but this time read the last line as well.
  • MaianMaian Join Date: 2003-02-27 Member: 14069Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    edited February 2004
    Sorry, but 3.0 wasn't meant to be played on WON. I'm kinda surprised that it works at all. Maybe the WON version interprets the hitboxes to be incredibly small.

If you want to test it, get a friend to play on aliens, and shoot him.
    He EDITED HIS POST to include that last line AFTER i posted.
  • BobTheJanitorBobTheJanitor Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24228Members, NS1 Playtester
    I can't help but ask, then, why your quote includes that line... Did you edit your quote as well?
    edited February 2004
    <!--QuoteBegin-Hunty+Feb 12 2004, 01:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Hunty @ Feb 12 2004, 01:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> He EDITED HIS POST to include that last line AFTER i posted. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That is true, but the fact that that line was included in your quote led me to believe you had seen it. Apologies if you didn't.

[edit]
    Actually, that is not strictly true. I edited the post before you replied, not after.
    [/edit]
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    That sounds to me like some n00b admin fiddling with mp_team1damagepercent and mp_team2damagepercent, by making marine weapons do like 1% damage or something silly like that... Either that or he cheated outright and put in INVUL...
    <!--QuoteBegin-BobTheJanitor+Feb 12 2004, 01:17 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (BobTheJanitor @ Feb 12 2004, 01:17 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I can't help but ask, then, why your quote includes that line... Did you edit your quote as well? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Maybe he had JUST finished hitting the edit button,and i JUST hit the quote button then.

Maybe it was the admin...but that was a dedicated server o.O

Forget it......i will have the stupid steam problem fixed by the saturday or sunday....i hope.....would help if steam forums were useful.....
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    if you are receiving a specific error message then copy and paste it into google and hit search.

Otherwise hit our own tech support forums here and see if there is already a sticked thread that covers your issue.
  • BOBDololBOBDolol Join Date: 2003-10-04 Member: 21431Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-BobTheJanitor+Feb 12 2004, 01:17 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (BobTheJanitor @ Feb 12 2004, 01:17 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I can't help but ask, then, why your quote includes that line... Did you edit your quote as well? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ownt
  • PogoPPogoP Environment Artist Join Date: 2004-01-31 Member: 25827Members, NS2 Developer, Constellation
    Hunty, all you do is complain and quite frankly, it's annoying and immateur. State WHAT you want changed, don't just complain about it and expect us to say, 'Oooh, well if Master Hunty doesn't like the fact he can't shoot, we've GOT to change it!' Dude, WON is more bugged than steam for 3.0 I think, and WON is shutting down soon, so you'll be happy now as you wont have to play this 'craptacular' game. Phew. It's a flipping beta for god's sake XD
  • ForlornForlorn Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2634Banned
    Sounds like the hitbox bug.

For the hive; 2 and a half clips of lv. 3 HMG = about 40% of the hive, and 3 shotgun clips = 50%, so the hive was around 10% hp before you got owned.