Always Errors Out The First Time, Take Two

relsanrelsan Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3720Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">hl.exe has generated errors</div> Ok I'm posting this again in the tech support forum because grepdashv locked my thread in the Beta Bug forum and said it was a technical problem with my system rather than a problem with the game. However I am highly suspicious of that because several people previously replied to the thread saying that the problem had to do with the fact that half-life has to be run at least once BEFORE playing ns 3.0. I have never had a problem like this until I installed NS 3.0 and the accompanying mandatory Steam install so I'm highly doubtful that this has anything to do with my particular system. At any rate, here is my problem:

The very first time after Steam has started that I try to join a server, half-life fails. The game looks like its booting up, I see the NS wallpaper, then the screen goes white and a small box appears saying hl.exe has generated errors. Everytime after that, NS starts fine. This only started happening once I started playing NS 3.0. I don't know if it has anything to do with Steam I had to install Steam with 3.0 and so this is the first time I've been using Steam as well.

Comments

• MonsieurEvilMonsieurEvil Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 4Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <span style='color:white'>Artificial de-bumping due to forum time/date problem, please ignore this post</span>
  • relsanrelsan Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3720Members, Constellation
    If you are asking if I play Half-Life in its original form with no mods, no I don't. I only play NS these days. Also I shut my computer off everyday except for weekends. So basically you guys are saying that everytime I start my computer I have to run the hl.exe at least once before attempting to play NS. This doesn't sound like a tech problem. It sounds like a bug. grepdashv seemed to suggest that I didn't install the game right but it sounds like I'm not the only one with this problem.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    ummm, remove your nsp folder

play HL via steam once, install beta 1, patch to beta 2

I DON'T KNOW WHY steam borks on you if you don't play HL first (just the training mission will do) but it does ;(

Imean, you never actualy said if you have played HL via steam yet, if you have then we work on something else.
    edited February 2004
    I think what the directions should say is Run Half-life through Steam before attempting to install NS. That would make it more clear.
    Well anyways I deleted the nsp folder, played the half-life training level through Steam and then reinstalled the beta 1 client and the beta 3 patch. NS still crashes the first time I try to run it. Not sure whats wrong now. Anybody have any ideas?
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    i used to get that error too, do this, create a shortcut to ns and use that to start it up