Why So Slow?

BasinxBasinx Join Date: 2004-01-16 Member: 25370Members
<div class="IPBDescription">WHy</div> Why is it that when I make a map it seems to lag a lot more? Even if it has the same amount of open space. Is there some kind of special program people use to make their final versions of maps?
I was just using that hammer editor. Or maybe is there some special setting that makes a super smooth final version?

Comments

• DjBourgeoisieDjBourgeoisie Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20300Members
    Are you using nemesis batch compiler? It also depends on how you set up your compiler. Never compile with worldcraft btw.
  • CageyCagey Ex-Unknown Worlds Programmer Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8829Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-Basinx+Feb 4 2004, 11:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Basinx @ Feb 4 2004, 11:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Why is it that when I make a map it seems to lag a lot more? Even if it has the same amount of open space. Is there some kind of special program people use to make their final versions of maps?
    I was just using that hammer editor. Or maybe is there some special setting that makes a super smooth final version? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Could you post your compile output? There may be a problem during compile that's causing the lag.
  • YamazakiYamazaki Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 21Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Always run the compile tools in the following order:
    CSG -> BSP -> VIS -> RAD

Failing to run RAD will result in a lower framerate.

Additionally, use the following command in the console while in your map:
    r_speeds 1

This displays info on the amount of world and entity polygons visible in your map from your current position. The third number is the world polygons, it's what you need to keep down, and values significantly over 800 will cause framerate problems depending upon your hardware.
  • BasinxBasinx Join Date: 2004-01-16 Member: 25370Members
    So I should use this nemesis compiler and do it in that order?

Hmm
    all i've been doing is using hammer which I think is exactly the same as worldcraft and checking off some, but not all of those things and compiling. And half the time it just crashed while i'm doing this.

I havent actually worked on a map in months I'm just saying from memory because I'm thinking of making an NS map but I don't want to bother if its gona be all laggy for not good reason.
  • YamazakiYamazaki Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 21Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Sounds like you're doing something wrong in the compile process, or your maps are just very visibility ineffecient... or both. There's always a reason, so I'd suggest looking into some tutorials on setting up a proper compile process and starting from there. If that doesn't fix your problems, then you'll need to look up tutorials on keeping your rendering speeds down.
  • Lt_GravityLt_Gravity Join Date: 2003-04-28 Member: 15909Members
    maybe if your map doesnt have a leak...
    too much detail...
    too much faces resulting from wrong use of brushes...
    I dont want to flame somebody but it sounds little bit like a newbie question.

but btw: maps in ns-testmode seem to run little bit slower anyways, ingame they are just fine. keep r-speeds in bounds.
  • esunaesuna Rock Bottom Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15175Members, Constellation
    Maybe you're only compiling using the "fast" and "normal" settings not "normal" and "extra". That can cause higher r_speeds and lower fps.