Keyboard Controls

2»

Comments

• inkblotinkblot Join Date: 2004-01-05 Member: 25077Members
    Fairly close to default. Shift is duck and ctrl is walk. hud_fastswitch 1, it's almost neccessary. q is lastinv, I forget if that's default or not.

What really annoys me is games with "lean" features, like CoD. No, I don't want to use Q and E to lean around and get dizzy, thanks. On games like that I rework the entire config to avoid headaches and many hours of possible frustration. Usually, I don't even map the lean keys.
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6146Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    WASD,
    F slot1
    Z slot2
    C slot3
    Q slot4
    T autoassign
    G and mouse4 +voicerecord
    mouse5 +showmap

I would try some alternate configs but I'm just not convinced any potential benefits would be worth the hassle of a) Relearning the controls and b) Extensively remapping all of the controls every time I reinstall or play a new FPS, or play on a different computer.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Trevelyan+Feb 5 2004, 05:19 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Trevelyan @ Feb 5 2004, 05:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I use the arrow keys.

Now before you cry "nub!"... My hands are frekin huge, as are my fingers. I still get the same degree of control as most do with the WASD or ESDF configs that (I think) the majority of the community uses. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Word

Up=Forward
    Down=Backward
    Left=StrafeLeft
    Right=Straferight
    Right CTRL= Jump
    Numpad 0= crouch
    Enter=Use
    End=Ventrillo
    \ =Voice chat
    Y=Say
    U=Sayteam

Mouse1=Fire
    Mouse2=Popup menu
    Mwheelup Moves weapon menu left
    Mwheeldown moves weapon menu right
    Mouse5= lastinv
    Mouse3=reload
    mouse 4=unbound

12 Sensitivity
  • PalinPalin Join Date: 2003-03-24 Member: 14848Members
    I use a mostly default setup (wasd configuration), but bind most of the right side of the keyboard to all tertiary functionality. The catch is I can simultaneously move with my 4 "little" fingers and still use my thumb to hit any key left of [Enter].... I have freakishly long, agile fingers. Though I DO need a new keyboard.... its input stream is limited to 3 simultaneous keys at a time... any more and my machine starts beeping like crazy.
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    edited March 2004
    I use pretty close to defaults:
    WASD for movement
    mouse1 for attack
    mouse2 for popupmenu
    Q for build
    E for lastinv
    Space for jump
    Control for crouch

The only thing I really changed was switching e and q, I found when fading I didn't want to relay on my pinky for lastinv. Around a month ago I switched from arrow keys / shift for jump / delete for duck to this, and I can definatly say it took me a really long time getting used to it but when I did my play improved.

6.5 sensitivity for aliens, 4.5 for marines. I used to use 12.8 sense for both, but then I switched from a microsoft basic optical mouse to an MX700 and 12.8 was crazy fast.
  • TheNovaTheNova Join Date: 2004-02-16 Member: 26599Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-inkblot+Mar 6 2004, 03:17 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (inkblot @ Mar 6 2004, 03:17 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> hud_fastswitch 1, it's almost neccessary. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    fast switch isn't really necessary. I only use it for aliens. switch back to 0 when I'm rine. Since the slot 4 makes it so confusing with fastswitch on 1.

also having fastswitch on 0 for rines enable me to check ammo on other guns without actually changing to that weapon. I don't like to change weapons just because I want to check ammos left for that gun. old habit from half-life.

BTW, I really don't get it what's so great with that lastinv bind? why not just press 1, 2 or 3? More precise.
  • BuggyBuggy Join Date: 2003-11-08 Member: 22400Members, Constellation
    I use default, except that i shoved my popup menu access to 5, to get lastinv under mouse2
  • KissamiesKissamies Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4748Members
    A certain beginner's guide for UT2k3 describes my control preferences well:
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->A small but very angry group use mouse and joystick. Do NOT start a configuration discussion with these people. If they enter a room, avoid eye contact, put down your drink and casually edge towards the door.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->