Telnet Protocol Question!

RhuadinRhuadin Join Date: 2003-06-05 Member: 17023Members
<div class="IPBDescription">I've looked everywhere...</div> Hi guys! Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I have a quick question about telnet protocol.

I've searched google up and down and all I find are the same 'operation codes' over and over again. What I want to know is:

How do you write to a specific character space on a remote 80x60 terminal? I know it's possible -- unix programs like pico and pine do it.

Thanks! I've been searching for weeks for a solution to this one.

Rhuadin

Comments

• DaedalusDaedalus Join Date: 2003-04-02 Member: 15152Members
    Use \x?? where ?? is the hexidecimal code for the character you want (eg \x41 will represent the letter 'A')
  • RhuadinRhuadin Join Date: 2003-06-05 Member: 17023Members
    Hmm, that's not what I meant. Let's see if I can rephrase.

So when you log into a linux box, when you type stuff and hit enter it appears in a line at the bottom.

However, when you run pico, it no longer just prints stuff out the bottom -- now it changes stuff in the whole screen. Like, if I delete a character in the middle of the screen, it doesn't have to print out the next screen -- it just removes that single character.

So how can I make my program do that, instead of just send lines that get printed on the bottom of the terminal?

Thanks,
    Rhuadin
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    That's more of screenmode. No need to really read up on the network side of things, just look over basic UI design and programming manuals. Heck, it's ASCII. You could probably grab the vim/pico/nano source and just look it over to figure out the way they position the cursor onscreen. Though usually it's a basic POS(ition) X/Y expressed in the particular resolution you're working in, or alternately just allowing the arrow keys to increment/decrement. Replacing a character... well, read up. A good old-fashioned <i><b>book</i></b> would be the best place to learn about that.