I'm Going To Miss You Guys! :(

lljkWhimsylljkWhimsy Join Date: 2003-04-25 Member: 15829Members
edited January 2004 in NS General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Natural Selection's "Breakfast Club"</div> Natural Selection is a great mod, but something horrible happened a while back to the NS world - Something that broke the community apart, and that was decided upon by one check box:

"Do you want to delete your old half life files?"

Many people who played NS checked this box, assuming that NS would work. Sadly, I was among the nieve. But sometimes, I look back, and I don't entirely regret this decision. Sure, NS has it's share of bugs in steam, but there is something more to it...

On average, I play NS at night, between 2:00 AM and 6:00 AM ESt. I'm a night hawk by nature.

Another important point is that there are abou 17 servers for NS at any given time.

Finally, there are maybe about 50 players on at these times.

This boils down to a lot of regulars taht know each other, and in turn, a rather unique play experience. We know our tactics, we know our skills and strengths, and we all know our weaknesses. In a sense, we have become a small community on our own.

When NS 3.0 is released, we are going to have over 1000 servers and probably about 5000-10000 players at launch. We will have many strangers flood the steam NS world, and NS will flurish once more. In short, the NS/Steam community is going to be fragmented.

It sounds cheesy, but I want to get something out of the way, before 3.0 is released: Thanks for showing me the differences of a large gaming community are compared to a small gaming community. We all got along pretty well, and I'm going to miss that.

Keep frying onions, guys!

Here's an i-netty-e-beer.

Comments

• Rice-RocketeerRice-Rocketeer Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2674Members
    I, myself, have not been able to play NS for quite awhile, since I installed Steam.

However...I can only say don't fret: new blood will bring new experiences.

Though your experiences may be unique with the regular crowd, just remember that half of the fun in a game like NS is having to deal with new strategies and ideas.

To tell you the truth, the new releases are *ALWAYS* my favourite for NS, because all the strategies get mixed up, and it's a whole new game for everyone.

When all the strategies start to become homogenized, the game isn't as fun as before.

Think of this as...erm...a new beginning!
  • Red_SquirrelRed_Squirrel Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24414Members
    I think I've played with you once or twice before Whimsey.

Just saying hullo _o/.
  • Roger_DodgerRoger_Dodger Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14392Members
    Better times to come man... Knowing people very well can become boring, im looking forward to playing the noobies and then teaching them how to play well, hell they could be better than me one day if i teach well.

- RD
  • Seph_KimaraSeph_Kimara Join Date: 2003-08-10 Member: 19359Members
    edited January 2004
    <!--QuoteBegin--[lljk]Whimsy+Jan 12 2004, 10:35 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> ([lljk]Whimsy @ Jan 12 2004, 10:35 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Natural Selection is a great mod, but something horrible happened a while back to the NS world - Something that broke the community apart, and that was decided upon by one check box:

"Do you want to delete your old half life files?"

Many people who played NS checked this box, assuming that NS would work. Sadly, I was among the nieve. But sometimes, I look back, and I don't entirely regret this decision. Sure, NS has it's share of bugs in steam, but there is something more to it...

On average, I play NS at night, between 2:00 AM and 6:00 AM ESt. I'm a night hawk by nature.

Another important point is that there are abou 17 servers for NS at any given time.

Finally, there are maybe about 50 players on at these times.

This boils down to a lot of regulars taht know each other, and in turn, a rather unique play experience. We know our tactics, we know our skills and strengths, and we all know our weaknesses. In a sense, we have become a small community on our own.

When NS 3.0 is released, we are going to have over 1000 servers and probably about 5000-10000 players at launch. We will have many strangers flood the steam NS world, and NS will flurish once more. In short, the NS/Steam community is going to be fragmented.

It sounds cheesy, but I want to get something out of the way, before 3.0 is released: Thanks for showing me the differences of a large gaming community are compared to a small gaming community. We all got along pretty well, and I'm going to miss that.

Keep frying onions, guys!

Here's an i-netty-e-beer. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Fried onions with celery and bacon :9

I just wish NS wasn't so boring for me now (use of tactics, mainly), else I'd still be playing regularly with you guys.