Ns On More Sane Platform?

2»

Comments

• SizerSizer Join Date: 2003-10-08 Member: 21531Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--glio+Jan 6 2004, 09:33 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (glio @ Jan 6 2004, 09:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Steam is good. Everyone is just used to WON after five years of it.
    One change I would've made to Steam is make it work like Bit Torrent, updates and such could've been much faster, and lighten the load of content servers. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The worst thing that could be done is making it like BT. In that case your upload would be totally saturated and playing online would be impossible.
  • SinisterWhisperSinisterWhisper Join Date: 2004-01-04 Member: 25043Members
    Well I have been around since before the game came out and have tried to make a forum account before but I got one eventualy so here i am. I played Steam since it was first released as better and it is better. I had alot of trouble when it went public because it would not install right for some reason but now that it works it is a god send. I have alot less bugs then before and while it does take up resources it is still easier to use.
  • DementedDemented Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18573Members
    I have an ADSL connection, and while steam does have a few problems, it is far superior to WON. It's incredibly user-friendly, has some really useful features (the friends list is really nice BTW), and its anti-cheat scanning is there FOR A GOOD REASON.

The main gripe people have with steam is its bugs.

So, when the bugs are dead and gone, steam will be better than WON in every way imaginable.
  • ForlornForlorn Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2634Banned
    <!--QuoteBegin--Demented+Jan 6 2004, 11:31 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Demented @ Jan 6 2004, 11:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> and its anti-cheat scanning is there FOR A GOOD REASON. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    VAC?

hahhahahahhaha
  • samussamus Join Date: 2003-06-04 Member: 17005Members
    Everybody could sit here and yell at whine about how steam is good or steam is bad until the end of time. It's really annoying to go to a forum devoted to discussing natural selection and find people arguing over incredibly pointless ****. Steam is the future, while it may not be great in your eyes, you will have to switch to it to continue playing ns and whatever other hl mods you want to play. Live with it, shut the **** up.
  • SizerSizer Join Date: 2003-10-08 Member: 21531Members
    That's some poor trolling.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    Right.

No, NS will not be moving to a Non-Steam platform. NSv3.0 is to be Steam-exclusive, as will future versions.

Apparently, most of the people who 'h8 Steam cuz it suks kthxbai' were not around for WON's inception, which was FAR worse. You had to be lucky to play HL online one or two days out of the week. It's had FIVE DAMN YEARS to get stabilized, but is a dying/dead auth system. A dinosaur. A dead end to be turned away from, for something with extensability. Read: Steam.

The Anti-Steamies throw out aggrandized 'facts' about higher pings, 'half' the users not being able to run it, and spyware. This is outright BS.
    The Pro-Steamies throw out aggrandized 'facts' about lower pings, everyone being able to run it (and those who can't just whining), and full stability. This is also BS.

Yes, Steam has glitches. They are NOWHERE NEAR as severe as the anti-Steamies make them out to be. It's a good idea to make the transition now, before the WON servers are shut down for the last time, so you aren't caught in the rush of morons who waited for the last moment.
    The fact of the matter is, WON is going away. You get to deal with Steam now. Button up and do it, or stop playing. Your choice.

And now that this is resolved, I'm going back to locking any Steam-whiner threads I see.

<span style='color:red'>*LOCKED.*</span>
This discussion has been closed.