Server Hammering

QwertyQwerty Join Date: 2003-06-30 Member: 17817Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Plugin</div> Is there a plugin against server hammering? like an anti hammering plugin
that prevents people from constantly sitting infront of their console
retry
retry
retry causing server lag if enough people do it?
I need a plugin that temp ban's the people who do this.

Comments

• [WHO]Them[WHO]Them You can call me Dave Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10593Members, Constellation
    no, and for 2 reasons................

1. a server cannot lag a significant amount from people doing this. It would take around 50 people retrying at least twice a second to even come close to causing the traffic that 1 player causes. It could possibly be even more, I don't have the exact numbers at my disposal.

2. unless you inform people that you're going to ban them or some other kind of dissuasion to actually make them stop retrying on their end. Any method implemented will not significantly reduce the amount of traffic caused by these retries. At best you could eliminate *up to* 50% of the traffic if you simply sent no reply to any connection attempt. You can never prevent people from sending you junk, just prevent yourself from sending junk back.
  • TromPTTromPT Join Date: 2003-02-17 Member: 13673Members, Constellation
    theres an metamod/amx plugin that does this. cant telll which one.
    i didint give you the straight answer, i know, but i hope i lead you closer to the solution.

this plugin is implemented in this server: 200.49.147.32:27015
    but as a client cant tell which one is.
    ill try to contact the admin to ask for its name.
  • CheesyPetezaCheesyPeteza Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9784Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    It was enabled by default in an old version of AMX that after 3 retrys a player would be banned for a minute. But then Olo realised that server hammering did no harm so he disabled it in versions after that.
  • Cold_NiTeCold_NiTe Join Date: 2003-09-15 Member: 20875Members
    It really isn't as much of a traffic hogger as you would think. Some people just retry several times after being discconected to get back in the server. Though that usually doesn't spam retries continously.
  • QwertyQwerty Join Date: 2003-06-30 Member: 17817Members
    err i was late and i didnt mean that it lags its just fucken anoyying as hell ok slots are 24/25 with the 25th one being reserved slot if a reserved slot and someone who doesnt have reserved slot try to connect obviously for the reserved slot it might say it is full
  • TromPTTromPT Join Date: 2003-02-17 Member: 13673Members, Constellation
    new amx version hides the "untaken/free/available reserved slots"

i mean

if the server has maxplayers in 20 and has amx_reserved_slots en 2 (2 admin exclusive slots) then it shows xx/18 than the old xx/20.
    so u the admin, knows that u have still your reserved slot even if its 18/18.
    there is another variable amx_real_res_slots that shows how much VIP slots are still available.