Skin Families

AnarkiThreeXSixAnarkiThreeXSix x_x Join Date: 2003-12-31 Member: 24894Members
<div class="IPBDescription">how do u do em !?</div> as u can see , in ns , the marines are either black or white cuz of 2 skin families . . . and some other custom soldier models
also have 2 , i just wanna know , how do u make more skin families so ur marine team can be more than 2 skins of the model ?
if u can do it , that is . . .

Comments

• CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    decompile the ns marine a sec, theres summin in the qc somewhere, but i dont know much bout it
  • MausMaus Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5599Members
    At the moment NS only recognises 2 skin families - the ability to use more skins needs to be coded in. The Q3 Doomguy converted by Wolf Kahler (I think) had three skins (green, orange, and a statue scheme), but only the first two appear in-game.
  • JaegerJaeger Join Date: 2002-11-28 Member: 10202Members
    Taken from my Shock Marine .qc:

$texturegroup skinfamilies
    {
    { "head.bmp" "glow.bmp" }
    { "head_black.bmp" "glow_black.bmp" }
    }

first group has two .bmps ("head.bmp" "glow.bmp") and will be selected as Skin1, second group ("head_black.bmp" "glow_black.bmp") is Skin2.

You can add more bitmaps to groups by appending them to the line you want, i.e. { "1.bmp" "2.bmp" "3.bmp" }, or add other skinsets by making third, fourth, or however many lines you need to the comment.

I don't think NS allows for more than two skin families, since I'm not sure it checks for Skin1 or Skin2 randomly, or whether it checks for all families in the model randomly. It'll be something to try out.