Speed

2»

Comments

• humbabahumbaba That Exciting Tales From the Frontline Guy Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 86Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Exactly, The amrines have a strategic advantage as far as camping goes because theyre so outmatched otherwise. You can't exterminate roaches by holing up in a corner and waiting for them to go away. They get into the refrigerator and the cupboards and reproduce. Therefore, camping once in one spot may be effective, and the marines deserve that as an effective tactic. Repetitive camping deep in the level is ineffective givin that the basic principal of level design for NS demands a weblike pattern, so there wont be many choke points anyway. Repetitive camping in the few secure rooms by the marines is no longer camping, its defending. I honestly dont think the aliens will have much of a problem dealing with a dug in marine anyway. Theyre so versatile, I fear more that even a squad of dug in, decked out marines may not have the power to hold off a smart alien team. In otherwords, dotn worry about marines being too good. Im sure flayra and friends know what theyre doing. Have they steered you wrong yet?
  • Shuvit_ViperShuvit_Viper Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 62Members
    thats what i mean... Camping is a must, will you survive.Camping is a tactic in cs too... the only problem is many people use it when it is not necessery, and in publics the whole 15 people have to wait for just one camping #####...
  • cyberdaemoncyberdaemon Join Date: 2002-02-06 Member: 169Members
    well i got an idea against camping - when u sit to much in one place u govisible to any players and commanders/hive controllers so u can sit just and have to move on
  • MoleculorMoleculor Namer-of-Bob Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 9Members
    Cyberdaemon, we don't want to discourage camping.
  • HuanHuan Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 80Members
    Camping is a very effective tactic, but it makes games boring. Its NOT BAD, but BORING, so we try to avoid it, right?
  • GreedoGreedo Bounty Hunter Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 37Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Huan:  Camping is not something that we neccesarily need to avoid.  Sitting and laying in wait for marines to ambush (you might call it camping) is a very important strategy for most of the aliens.  Remember, the main objective of the aliens is to eliminate the marines while protecting the hives.  If they all go out and rush, they'll likely be slaughtered and be at a statistical disadvantage for the rest of the match.  For the marines, their main goal is to destroy the hives and the aliens.  If the marines all sit back and camp the command center, they'll lose because the alien team will simply grow stronger and stronger.

In this case, camping marines lose and camping aliens have a better chance of winning.  I think that being ambushed by aliens (or doing the ambushing) will hardly be boring.
  • TraneTrane Join Date: 2002-02-01 Member: 148Members
    THERE IS NO HIVEMASTER, ONLY COMMANDER, ALIENS ARE ON THEIR OWN, right?
  • MonsieurEvilMonsieurEvil Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 4Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    YES TRANE, THAT IS CORRECT!!!
  • cyberdaemoncyberdaemon Join Date: 2002-02-06 Member: 169Members
    well i dont have anything against camping
    well its allright in real war to , right ?
    and yes , i think aliens are theyr OWN
  • TraneTrane Join Date: 2002-02-01 Member: 148Members
    sorry, you said hive controller, and on some other random thread i saw someone typing about the commander/hive master or some bs....  anyways