Ns_freefall

HoundDawgHoundDawg Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3362Members
edited November 2003 in Mapping Forum
<div class="IPBDescription">resurrected "fun" map for NS v2.x</div> I recently started mapping again and decided to resurrect this "fun" map and convert it for NS v2.x I've kept it a beta so that it can be tested with NS v2.x and get some feedback from players and other admins.

<b>CURRENT BETA:</b> 16 (changelog posted later in thread)

<b>OVERVIEW:</b> This map is strictly a "fun" style map, which was inspired by playing ns_missilecommand. There were just a few design issues I had with that map, which really favored the marines.

<b>KHARAA OBJECTIVE:</b> Build and defend 3 hives while falling down to attack the marines.

<b>TSA OBJECTIVE:</b> Build and defend the spread resource nodes while quickly upgrading to obtain jetpacks.

<b>PICTURES AND DOWNLOAD:</b> <a href='http://www.wwgaming.com/nc/ns_freefall.php' target='_blank'>http://www.wwgaming.com/nc/ns_freefall.php</a>
Have fun!

[This new thread replaces the old one found <a href='http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=30115&hl=ns_freefall' target='_blank'>here</a>.]

Comments

• HoundDawgHoundDawg Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3362Members
    Beta 14 ChangeLog:
    <ul>
    <li> Fixed to run in NS v2.x
    <li> Removed 1 Resource Node from Aliens
    <li> Added a few half-spike ledges below alien area.
    </ul>
  • ssjyodassjyoda Join Date: 2002-03-05 Member: 274Members, Squad Five Blue
    i like the cavern thing, but outdoors, and the first pic, too plain. Outdoors doesn't work either, imagine a skulk climbing on the sky.
    <!--QuoteBegin--ssjyoda+Nov 24 2003, 06:32 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (ssjyoda @ Nov 24 2003, 06:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> i like the cavern thing, but outdoors, and the first pic, too plain. Outdoors doesn't work either, imagine a skulk climbing on the sky. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Heh, you obviously haven't played it yet. There is no sky in the game (only place it exists, is in the readyroom). The map takes the full height that the HL engine allows and places the aliens at the very top and the marines at the very bottom. So, you have the aliens free-falling down to the marine bunker area below.

As for the marines, they have fun with their jetpack skills as they head upward to take out the alien hives above. Now, it's a long way down and a long way up.

In NS 1.04, this map was the most fun to play as a "fun" type map. The biggest problem we had, was there were bugs in the NS engine, which caused the map to crash as NS v1.04 was unable to process a lot of action in large rooms. The same condition applied to the large rooms on other maps like Tanith and Nothing.

But, it appears in NS 2.x that they fixed those issues. I've tested it with a ton of turrets and sieges at the base and then dropping as an alien down without it crashing. But, I'll need to see it run through many full games before I'm convinced that it's all good. Also, NS 2.x has changes that may affect the team balance, which I'll have to make some adjustments to the map as well.

Anyway, I encourage you to take a look a bit closer and try to play with some friends. I'm working on getting a 24/7 ns_freefall server going myself and will post the info when ready.
    Ok, I have my server up and running the latest beta (14) and those wanting to play it, can connect to:

ns1.wwgaming.com:27015
    Ok, I have 2 releases, beta 15 was playtested on my server last night. The map (and NS 2.0) is imbalanced in alien favor still (even more so than in 1.04, imo). So, I had to make more changes and am now releasing beta 16 for playtesting:

Beta 16
    - Changed the Middle Pit
    - Removed Marine Boulders
    - Moved All Marine Bunkers
    - Moved Marine Player Starting Locations
    - Added 2 Wall Cliffs at Marine Base for Delayed Resource Nodes
    - Removed All but 4 Marine Resource Nodes (2 in the middle pit and 2 on wall cliffs)
    - Lowered and Opened up Hive Locations (easier for Marines to take out Hives)
    - Provided a Way for Aliens to Easily Move between Hives
    - Added More Lighting to the Middle and Alien Sections
    - Fixed Commander Build View (part of the map was unbuildable in beta 15)

Beta 15
    - Removed Water Pool at Marine Base
    - Changed the 2 Middle Dividers
    - Removed Another Resource Node from Aliens
    - Added Another Resource Node for Marines
    - Changed Marine Ground and Moved 2 Resource Nodes on top of Boulders
    - Added a Bounce Pad for Marines to Provide Additional Vertical Lift to Counter Weapon Weights

(See first post for screenshot and download links)