Help Plz

SnakeUbSnakeUb Join Date: 2003-07-02 Member: 17871Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">How do i use the particle system</div> I want to make smoke come out the top of a machine i found a sprite in the ns folder thats perfect but i dont know how to make env_particles_custom work could someone please explain to me how i do it.
cheers
snake

Comments

• tseepratseepra Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10530Members
    <a href='http://pstutorial.tripod.com/' target='_blank'>http://pstutorial.tripod.com/</a>
  • SnakeUbSnakeUb Join Date: 2003-07-02 Member: 17871Members, Constellation
    thanks ive tried that tut but as you cant edit them ingame anymore it makes it hard i set up the entity but nothing appears ingame at all is there anychance someone could post a ready made one i could could look at and edit (a box with a particle system that works .map file) it would really help me out i i really would like ton include a particle system.
  • KageKage Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2016Members
    In-game editing was kind of pointless anyways...it didn't save changes to the bsp.

I'm not sure of all the names, but the most important thing that I had to learn was the velocity parameters. These are the 8-ish parameters that tell HL which way to throw out the particle. The parameters have a different effect on each of the generation type, but you'll probably want the box type for this. The parameters are MinX,MinY,MinZ,MaxX,MaxY,MaxZ, with the ones after that unused. The particle system will choose a random value between the minimum and maximum of each of the X, Y, and Z values, and then generate a particle that flies that far in its lifetime.

I'm not sure if that's the best explanation, so I suggest that you look at the sample maps in CA's quickstart guide, and the entity definition in the Mapping FAQ.
  • esunaesuna Rock Bottom Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15175Members, Constellation
    One thing you should also bear in mind, the particle system doesn't kick in until about 20 seconds after the map is loaded. Put in a func_resource entity to act as an indicator that the particle systems are working.