Ns Dedicated And You Can Play On It To While

LogicBoxLogicBox Join Date: 2003-10-06 Member: 21484Members
<div class="IPBDescription">running</div> Hey if you start a dedicatd server how can you get it to where you can play on it also? Like how do you change the port numbers or whatever

thanks
logicbox

Comments

• DepotDepot The ModFather Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7956Members
    My target line looks like this<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->"C:\Program Files\ServerDoc\SERVER~1.EXE" C:\HLServer\hlds.exe -game ns +maxplayers 10 +map ns_veil +port 27014<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->which runs it on port 27014. Client side I use 27015 (mine is set in HLSW HL settings).
  • DrekDrek Join Date: 2002-12-19 Member: 11165Members
    edited November 2003
    If your computer can handle it you will also need to give HLDS high or realtime priority. To do this on Windows XP, after you have started up hlds, hit ctrl-alt-del. Find "hlds.exe" under the "Processes" tab, right click on it, choose "Set Priority" and select "AboveNormal", "High" or "Realtime". Depending on your computer this may cause system instability, but on mine I use real time priority without a problem.

If you don't boost your process priority for HLDS you will have serious lag problems when you attempt to play your dedicated server from the same machine. If you have Serverdoc, you can have it assign process priority for you, which is a real bonus. In case you didn't know, Serverdoc rocks my little world, I wouldn't run a server without it.
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Let me know if you need more help, I got mine working after some minor problems, if you cant connect, PM me
  • LogicBoxLogicBox Join Date: 2003-10-06 Member: 21484Members
    where do you get ServerDoc from?
  • DepotDepot The ModFather Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7956Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--LogicBox+Nov 13 2003, 01:47 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (LogicBox @ Nov 13 2003, 01:47 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->where do you get ServerDoc from?<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ServerDoc works great and can be downloaded <a href='http://www.serverdoc.com/' target='_blank'>here.</a> It does, however, have to be updated monthly. <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Drek Posted on Nov 8 2003, 08:12 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If your computer can handle it you will also need to give HLDS high or realtime priority. To do this on Windows XP, after you have started up hlds, hit ctrl-alt-del. Find "hlds.exe" under the "Processes" tab, right click on it, choose "Set Priority" and select "AboveNormal", "High" or "Realtime". Depending on your computer this may cause system instability, but on mine I use real time priority without a problem.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->I think your success with Realtime is the exception rather than the rule. It offen causes instabilitiy and shouldn't normally be used.
  • MisfireMisfire Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5764Members
    actually abovenormal proirity will work just fine. and its recommended
  • DrekDrek Join Date: 2002-12-19 Member: 11165Members
    edited November 2003
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->actually abovenormal proirity will work just fine. and its recommended<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you are going to run a dedicated server and play that server from the same machine you <i>must</i> use at least above normal priority. If you don't your server will lag like an sob.

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I think your success with Realtime is the exception rather than the rule.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You are probably right, I tried it on another machine and it caused instability. Guess my old rig rocks in some ways...