Server Crashes Whenever A Client Connects

DrekDrek Join Date: 2002-12-19 Member: 11165Members
<div class="IPBDescription">this is a seriously wierd problem</div> Ok, my NS server suddenly decided to start crashing whenever someone connected, for no apparrent reason. So I deleted my entire Natural Selection folder, reinstalled HLDS 4.1.1.0 and NS Server 2.0, tested it and it worked.

I updated it to 2.01, installed Metamod and Adminmod 2.50.58, tested the server, and it worked. I reinstalled all of my plugins and all my old configs and it started crashing again whenever someone joined.

I deactivated all of my plugins, Adminmod, Metamod, absolutely everything, I even replaced my server.cfg with a default one, and the crashes didn't go away... I'm totally stumped. I've shortened the story quite a bit however because I did try deactivating Adminmod, Metamod and the plugins in stages, and changing various cvars etc. I did this both before I deleted and reinstalled everything, and I tried it again after everything stopped working for the second time.

This is the log I am getting before the server crashes.

<!--c1--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>CODE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='CODE'><!--ec1-->L 11/08/2003 - 15:02:24: "<CC>Drek<1><normalwonid><>" connected, address "192.168.0.101:27005"
L 11/08/2003 - 15:02:38: "<CC>Drek<1><normalwonid><none>" entered the game
L 11/08/2003 - 15:02:38: "<CC>Drek<-1><4294967295><none>" disconnected
L 11/08/2003 - 15:02:38: Server shutdown
L 11/08/2003 - 15:02:38: Log file closed<!--c2--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--ec2-->

What happens is I connect and the server crashes while I am trying to connect. Note that it isn't actually crashing, it is shutting down for some strange reason. Notice also the super strange wonid it shows for me when it says I disconnected.

If anyone can give me any clue to what the heck is going on, I would be grateful.

Windows XP
HLDS 4.1.1.0c
AMD Athalon XP 1700+
1GB PC 2700 DDR
ATI Radeon 8500
loads of hdd space

Comments

• surprisesurprise Join Date: 2003-01-16 Member: 12382Members, Constellation
    hm, its VERY difficult to help you over distance...

the only advice i could give would be that you continue to try out what causes the issue...

you are on the right way i think...
    you could track the problem to plugins or configs...

so you should try to find your problem there...

what are all your config files?
    only server.cfg??
  • DrekDrek Join Date: 2002-12-19 Member: 11165Members
    /me bangs head on desk and otherwise thumps myself soundly about the head...

IT WAS THE FREAKIN' MOTD!!!

I started using the Psychostats motd recently, and it turns out that NS can't handle it... The problem wouldn't have shown up until I ran Psychostats after a reinstall because Psychostats generates the motd, then I modified Psychostats so it would correct a character problem, then copy the motd to the mod directory.

WHAT AN #$@* WASTE OF TIME!!!

Oh well, I feel much better now. A little yelling and screaming often does the trick...