Fixed Hitboxes

uranium_235uranium_235 Join Date: 2002-11-20 Member: 9478Banned
<div class="IPBDescription">Custom models?</div> Do fixed hitboxes mean the end of custom models?

Comments

• titaniumtitanium Join Date: 2003-10-31 Member: 22166Members
    i fail to see how fixing the hitboxes on the default models would have any correlation with people being able to use custom models
  • Cold_NiTeCold_NiTe Join Date: 2003-09-15 Member: 20875Members
    edited November 2003
    It would however keep the hitbox shape correlation with the old model. Meaning that whatever your custom model looks like, that is not where the hitboxes are. With the exception of custom models with the same shape as the original models.

**EDIT** Well I'm not certain of this, but I'm pretty sure anyway.
  • MavericMaveric Join Date: 2002-08-07 Member: 1101Members
    AFAIK, no.

people use custom models that can look completly different from the default model; doesn't mean that the bullets hit the model differently (if i had a model of a small dot as a skulk, letting the hitboxes of the small ball over-ride the hitboxes of a normal skulk model would be SUCH an exploit.)
  • PhyPhy Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14163Members
    Bullet hits are taken in account of the model thats on the server, not a client's model, so you could have any type of custom model on your machine.
  • taboofirestaboofires Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9853Members
    If you have a custom model with messed up hitboxes, it will only effect you and your lag comp. Stuff might look odd, but the server will still manage things just fine. You don't tell the server that you made a hit anyways (that would be great for cheaters), but rather just where you fired.
  • civman2civman2 Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6116Members, Constellation
    bullets hitting takes into account this little invisible rectangle drawn around whatever you're shooting at.
    <!--QuoteBegin--civman2+Nov 9 2003, 01:21 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (civman2 @ Nov 9 2003, 01:21 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> bullets hitting takes into account this little invisible rectangle drawn around whatever you're shooting at. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That isn't very accurate nor does it answer the thread's question.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--civman2+Nov 9 2003, 01:21 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (civman2 @ Nov 9 2003, 01:21 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> bullets hitting takes into account this little invisible rectangle drawn around whatever you're shooting at. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    correct, meaning it doesn't matter what body it has, the invisible boxes stay put.
  • Fat_WangFat_Wang Join Date: 2003-08-31 Member: 20420Members
    i firgured out a rather unorthadox way of fixing hitboxes. Smaller Custom Models!!!11 i had a ultralisk model that was smaller than the defualt onos model. i found myself killing oni more. i was wondering y then i saw 50 posts on screwed up onos hitboxes. i put 2 and 2 together and realized my ultralisk model helped me get kills even tho it looked pos.
    <!--QuoteBegin--Fat_Wang+Nov 9 2003, 04:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Fat_Wang @ Nov 9 2003, 04:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> i firgured out a rather unorthadox way of fixing hitboxes. Smaller Custom Models!!!11 i had a ultralisk model that was smaller than the defualt onos model. i found myself killing oni more. i was wondering y then i saw 50 posts on screwed up onos hitboxes. i put 2 and 2 together and realized my ultralisk model helped me get kills even tho it looked pos. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Completely psychological. The server you are connecting doesn't care in the least what model you are using. It figures out whether or not you hit according to the standard model (unless the server has a custom installed, and that could be bad), and then tells you whether you hit.

You could have had your onos model be just a big red rectangle the size of its hittable area. Or you could have the mental version of that. Either way, the server doesn't care.
  • napalmnapalm Join Date: 2003-05-20 Member: 16533Members
    Yea like see if I wanted to use a custom skulk model with long red bars pointing out along every axis in 3 dimensions, while I wouldn't be able to <i>shoot</i> at those red bars, I would be able to see his camping spots as his model clipped through walls, and thus give me an edge due to my ingenuity.
  • FirespiritFirespirit Join Date: 2003-05-05 Member: 16082Members
    now THAT would be considered some kind of cheating
  • MintmanMintman Join Date: 2003-05-30 Member: 16866Members
    They are known as spiked models napalm and that's why some servers (and most leagues) use a file consistency enforcer.
    Yes, and they are also off-topic. They are cheating now, and will still be cheating when the hitboxes are fixed. The point of the thread is that the models that are legit now will still work in 2.1.