My Framerate Isn't What It Used To Be..

CrisqoCrisqo Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11625Members
edited October 2003 in Tech Support
<div class="IPBDescription">Harr....</div> Ok... A few months ago I had an 80 gig hard drive which developed a bad boot sector or something (my fan stopped working, thus, the hard drive over heated.) After putting my older 20 gig hard drive in I decided to try something out and upgrade from windows 98 to 2000. However, because my old sound card from philips apparently doesn't have drivers for win 2000... I go out to buy a sound blaster live 5.1 card (they had drivers so its a start.) Then, for my birthday, I got a neato 120 gig hard drive.

Now to recap before I launch into the actual question...

My system spec before the great hard drive fire...
Geforce fx 5600
384 mb of SDR Ram
win 98
philips rythmic edge soundcard
80 gig 7200 rpm hard drive

With that I could run my video card at 8x anti aliasing 4x antisotropic and have no framerate loss.

My current system
Geforce fx 5600
384 mb SDR ram
win 2k
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
120 gig 7200 rpm hard drive

Now, my computer struggles with 4x anti aliasing.

Thats my question...Why!? Why must my computer suck? Is it my sound blaster giving my VIA chipset a hard time? The FX has it's own fan so I doubt that it would have taken any heat damage. Thoughts? Comments? Precious Answers?

Comments

• SDJasonSDJason Join Date: 2003-05-29 Member: 16841Members
    edited October 2003
    Betcha it has to do with the sound card..

SOund Blaster Lives are pure evil with games.........
    Open DirectX and turn off Hardware Accel for the card, then go into game and disable eax support, ect

Also u might wanna check what mode ur video is in in game.. make sure its openGL, and not DirectX or software.... i think it defaults to software when u install but not sure..

~Jason
  • CrisqoCrisqo Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11625Members
    Yay, I can run hitman 2 at 8x aliasing...but now my sound isn't that great. I think it's because I turned off its acceleration. Any other ideas?
  • jabsjabs Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10773Members
    I have a sound blaster live with hardware accelleration on and it doesnt lag me or anything like that. I can use 8x agp just fine. It is probably a problem caused by steam, if thats what you are using.
    Nay, I use gamespy.

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I can use 8x agp just fine<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    8x anti aliasing? Or 8x AGP slot acceleration thingy (as opposed to 4x, you know what i'm talking about.)
  • mAlfunkti0nmAlfunkti0n Join Date: 2003-09-30 Member: 21342Members
    Ok number one, what are your FULL system specs (CPU, etc)

Also, try upgrading to 512mb ram, as w2k sucks up a bit more memory for extra services.

On the services end, disable services that you dont need (aka, messenger, remote registry .. etc).

Jumping from 98 to W2K shouldnt be bad, but it all depends on CPU and ammount of free RAM really.
    Ha, nevermind I got it. It turns on out that on the Windows Update Page, you actually have to click on "Driver Updates" then manually select the Nvidia drivers. Well, i'm an idiot.