Freeze Right After I Get In A Game In Steam

Phifth_ElementPhifth_Element Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8233Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Dr. Watson seems to be the culprit</div> - 1.33 GHz Athalon
- SoundBlaster
- NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X
- 256 MB RAM
- W2K SP4
- 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768 recently, OpenGL
- No EAX
- Half-Life client

I will start up Steam and join a server (R5 normally). Once i get oon to a team and move for a SECOND my game freezes. Task Manager tells me that the program is not responding. Dr. Watson has loaded up and is trying to create an error log. My only options are to wait for the error log to finish (yeah right!) or hit cancel, which I do (hit cancel). I can then kill the program. The same thing happens when I try to run Opposing Force SP or Half-Life SP. But it was working for awhile...I got part way through boot camp one morning (until I killed the weapon check in guy in an effort to keep my sniper rifle...heh). And I was able to get to level 2 on HL SP. But now when I try to go in and load my saved game it runs for a second and then freezes. HELP!

Comments

• leekleek Join Date: 2003-02-03 Member: 13042Members
    do you know what chipset your motherboard has. i can see its an athlon processor. the most common motherboard chipset for athlons is VIA and id suggest getting the laters via hyperion drivers(previously VIA 4 in 1 drivers).

and deffinatlety check if you have latest video drivers.

the above 2 are usually whats at fault if its neither of those try updating your sound card drivers.
  • Phifth_ElementPhifth_Element Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8233Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--leek+Oct 17 2003, 10:39 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (leek @ Oct 17 2003, 10:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->do you know what chipset your motherboard has. i can see its an athlon processor. the most common motherboard chipset for athlons is VIA and id suggest getting the laters via hyperion drivers(previously VIA 4 in 1 drivers).

and deffinatlety check if you have latest video drivers.

the above 2 are usually whats at fault if its neither of those try updating your sound card drivers.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    My chipset is VIA KT266/A.

I am hesitant to try to change my vidoe or sound card drivers because EVERYTHING else works and getting the sound card to work was insane! Plus, all of this (including Steam) was working just days ago. Coudl it be that Steam changed something on me? I'm also wondering if there is some config setting that I futzed with and screwed stuff up. I guess the only way I will find that out is if somebody reads this who had the same problem and *knew* what setting they had just changed.
  • Phifth_ElementPhifth_Element Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8233Members
    Well my problem went away and now it is back. I was playing SP OpFor. I was trying to get through a tough area with minimum damage to me (something I like to strive for for fun). I was trying an idea and then quick loading my saved game when it screwed up. It could be connected to doing this rapidly a couple times. The effects of this could maybe be created in Ns by exiting and retrying a game quickly many times (just speculation). Now when I move even a little bit it give me the crash error message. Has anybody had this happen to them?