Counting Entities.

ssjyodassjyoda Join Date: 2002-03-05 Member: 274Members, Squad Five Blue
<div class="IPBDescription">numents don't work.</div> Anyone know how to count the entities in a map. Flayra told me that the numents/entity info problem will be fixed for 2.1. But is there another way, just for now, to get a rough count. Flayra told me my map was 190 over the limit, which I was shocked by. Is there anyway to count the entities that only go towards the NS 200 limit. IE...not light/playerstart/location entities.

Comments

• uffouffo Join Date: 2003-05-03 Member: 16026Members
    If you're using Hammer or Quark, you can count them by yourself from the entity list.
    Can't remember where it was in Quark, but in VHE it's <b>Map -> Entity report</b>
  • ZaziZazi Join Date: 2002-05-26 Member: 672Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    But that method usually doesn't work, unless you know what to not count. Player starts, unnamed lights, env_gamma, info_map, etc. ents do not count towards your final ent count. So unless you know what to subtract from that count, that method isn't really usefull.
  • ssjyodassjyoda Join Date: 2002-03-05 Member: 274Members, Squad Five Blue
    well, there is a way, i know it. Flayra was able to count 390 entities in my map with just the bsp. So, um, there is a way. Yeah, i know thats way over the limits.
  • CageyCagey Ex-Unknown Worlds Programmer Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8829Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--ssjyoda+Oct 15 2003, 09:23 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (ssjyoda @ Oct 15 2003, 09:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> well, there is a way, i know it. Flayra was able to count 390 entities in my map with just the bsp. So, um, there is a way. Yeah, i know thats way over the limits. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Flayra's not necessarily using release builds--his copy might have numents working properly.

That said, you could theoretically use "entityinfo" and sum the numbers that it reports; I arrived at a count of 396 for Nancy (which was built to the old 400 entity limit) using this method. The entityinfo command does work in the 2.0 pub client, but only when sv_cheats and developer are both set to 1.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--ssjyoda+Oct 15 2003, 11:23 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (ssjyoda @ Oct 15 2003, 11:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> well, there is a way, i know it. Flayra was able to count 390 entities in my map with just the bsp. So, um, there is a way. Yeah, i know thats way over the limits. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Its over the recommended limits. If your brushwork is nice and neat the amount of entities will not disturb the gameplay too much when playing. 200-300 entities is just a preferred number, I assume it was brought in mainly for the combat mode.
  • ReeseReese Join Date: 2003-05-08 Member: 16143Members
    If anything it was probably implemented for the regular ns gameplay. All of the structures that are implemented in regular ns add to entity counts. That plus some big firefights makes for heavy server load. Although NS:C will feature big firefights, and in greater frequency than regular NS, The lack of buildings and focus on smaller player numbers will probably make it much nicer on servers.

Either way I can see a case for the entity limits that exist. I think on the whole NS:C will tend to be slightly <i>more</i> forgiving on entities, but not by much.
  • ssjyodassjyoda Join Date: 2002-03-05 Member: 274Members, Squad Five Blue
    200=recommended limits.
    300=hard deck.
  • NerdIIINerdIII Join Date: 2003-04-05 Member: 15230Members
    Well, the coders on the forum could easily make a program that calls ripents and parses the entity list. If they aren't doing more important things atm...