Marine Bunny Hopping

nthingnthing Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3091Members
Ok - I tried to post this in the bug reports forum, but it didn't work. Maybe a mod could move it there?

I was in a Steam server the other day (though this is not an issue with Steam), and someone noticed that you can still bunny hop as a marine on structures. Whilst testing this out, however, I have noticed that this has nothing to do with structures at all. The real problem is that you can still bunny hop if you land on something higher up from where you jumped.

Jumping off the ground onto a turret, for example, will allow you to bunny hop from that turret. If, however, you land on another turret (or the ground) and attempt to do another bunny hop from it, it will be unsuccessful. If you land on something that is higher than a turret, however, like an armoury, then you can still do another bunny hop off this.

This probobly doesn't seem like a terribly big issue, as it will not be very useful if you want to get somewhere quickly, but it can be very helpful when fighting skulks if you're armed with this knowledge. Also, jumping ontop of skulks and bunny hopping off thier backs can be done pretty easily.

You can download an example demo (not a steam demo) <a href='http://www.gamekit.org/bunnyhop.zip' target='_blank'>here</a>.

Comments

• MrMojoMrMojo Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9882Members, Constellation
    Doesn't sound like a bug, and besides that, hopping on structures is a great way to avoid skulks. Can't really be abused unless there's a bunch of buildings close together ( base or settlement).
  • TeoHTeoH Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11640Members
    edited October 2003
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
    Whilst testing this out, however, I have noticed that this has nothing to do with structures at all. The real problem is that you can still bunny hop if you land on something higher up from where you jumped.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

More accurately, wether you can hop or not depends on the time you spend between jumping and landing. Land before a certain period and you're able to hop. (You can test this by hopping on a level surface with a low cieling - bang your head on the cieling and you land quick enough to bunnyhop.)

Obviously hopping on a surface higher than the surface you jumped from is the most practical way to land earlier. This was officially reported long before release, it hasn't been changed presumably because it isnt considered much of an issue.

Something else to keep in mind - when jumping from a crouch position into a standing position on a flat surface, you will land sooner than you would in a normal jump, allowing you to hop once on a flat surface. If you want to see some more useable applications of this trick, watch these:

<a href='http://www.oclube.com/usuarios/teoh/hoparchives.zip' target='_blank'>Hop Archives</a>

I don't consider this trick to be a problem, as it only becomes useful in certain specific situations, and has little or no relevance in combat.

Edit: And the reason your post in the bugs forum "didn't work" is because that forum is moderated. No posts will appear in that forum untill they've been read and approved by an admin.
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    It works up ramps and things, but it isn't a big deal, and there is no reason to mess with it. I really would hate to see bunnyhopping screwed over even more. The current bunnyhopping situation is worse than cs...
  • DrunkenSailorDrunkenSailor Join Date: 2003-07-01 Member: 17826Members, Constellation
    edited October 2003
    <--- "someone," winnar

When I curtly suggested that you go take it to the forums, I didn't think you'd be going through with it.

Yeah, you can bhop up on higher stuff. And I'm not going to lie to you, I do it all the time. It's surprisingly useful for escaping an onos' jaws.
  • nthingnthing Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3091Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--DrunkenSailor+Oct 5 2003, 08:41 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (DrunkenSailor @ Oct 5 2003, 08:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <--- "someone," winnar <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Heh - Hi you!
  • SiliconSilicon Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13683Members
    omg you can bunny hop uphill, it's the end of the world!
  • coilcoil Amateur pirate. Professional monkey. All pance. Join Date: 2002-04-12 Member: 424Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    The bug forum is moderated, which is why your initial post did not appear.
This discussion has been closed.