A Little Secret... To Help You Win

SeraphyGoodnessSeraphyGoodness Join Date: 2003-06-05 Member: 17029Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Shhhhh....</div> I've noticed something, whilst playing as aliens...

Marines only seem to need to hold 4 or 5 res nodes to win... aliens need to hold 7-8....

so if you can keep and hold 3 more nodes (double res and one other is best), you should have all the res you need to win the game.

Oh, and phasegates. you can't win without phase gates.

Comments

• OlljOllj our themepark-stalking nightmare Fade Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10696Members
  • AssistendAssistend Join Date: 2003-04-19 Member: 15658Members, Constellation
    WoW u noticed that fast..
  • NiteowlNiteowl Join Date: 2002-09-04 Member: 1274Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    what's wrong with it? rines can tech quite nicely on 4-5 RTs, but the rines ALSO need to take down THEIR rts actively.
  • TorgoTorgo Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11626Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Ollj+Sep 17 2003, 08:06 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Ollj @ Sep 17 2003, 08:06 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> just wrong. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yay! Constuctive Criticism!

...anyways...

Yeah, 4-5 usually work quite well, as long as you keep the alien res down as well...however using that logic....you could do just fine at 1 rt,as long as you kept the opponent at 0...well..whatever then
  • taboofirestaboofires Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9853Members
    It's hard for the marines to keep more than 5 res. You just can't babysit that many places at once as a marine, even with phasegates.

The kharaa do not need anywhere near 7-8 res to win, however. 4 or so rts and good use of the res you have works nicely. Sure, not everyone on the team will be onos, but why should you need that to win anyway?
  • FrostyFrosty Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15667Members
    yeah khara simply need more than the rines. not even if they rakin in rfk, but if not more than rines is what ya need.
  • KobayashiKobayashi Join Date: 2003-07-05 Member: 17956Members
    omg.... I hear this "marines only need 4-5 rts too win" from guys i command soooo often.... so they'll friggin sit in base and 'defend' when I tell them to go attack something. Then we get tech, but before I can drop anything, the aliens get fades/onos and wipe out all our RTs, so we have tech, but no res to drop anything, so we lose. Yes. Fades are relatively cheap, can be gotten VERY early in the game, own elec rts, and are teh ultimate hit and run. (can anyone say blink?)

Khara do NOT need more RTs to win. It's just that when the aliens usually win, they do it by owning all marine expansions, except the base. There's that 8 to 1 rt ratio. It's just that skulks can take out MS when marines keep spawning there, so they wait a while for onos + 3 hives.

Whenever aliens and marines are stalemated (I.E. both sides have about the same RTs), the aliens usually win. why? I don't know, I think aliens just fight the war of attrition better than marines.
  • UntitledUntitled Join Date: 2003-02-09 Member: 13348Members
    You deserve a smart guy award.

Acually your only half right. Aliens just need lots of room.

If aliens and marines both shared the map 50 50, guess who would win? The marines. Why? Because the marines are acually quite stronger than the aliens as they can work with much less than the aliens.
  • taboofirestaboofires Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9853Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Kobayashi+Sep 17 2003, 11:08 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Kobayashi @ Sep 17 2003, 11:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> omg.... I hear this "marines only need 4-5 rts too win" from guys i command soooo often.... so they'll friggin sit in base and 'defend' when I tell them to go attack something. Then we get tech, but before I can drop anything, the aliens get fades/onos and wipe out all our RTs, so we have tech, but no res to drop anything, so we lose. Yes. Fades are relatively cheap, can be gotten VERY early in the game, own elec rts, and are teh ultimate hit and run. (can anyone say blink?)
    <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You need to KEEP 4-5 res to win, not just have. They best way to keep your rts is to keep the kharaa busy by assaulting something.
  • Johny_CageJohny_Cage Join Date: 2003-02-06 Member: 13191Members
    Bah because of the nature of NS you can win in any way possible you can think of, even with 0 rts and you can lose just the same with 9 rts. Stop putting the game in a narrow range of tactics. Anything can happen in a game, you can NEVER plan a game and play it that way. Its just not possible, unless you talk with the alien team before hand and they agree to let you win.
  • FrostyFrosty Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15667Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Bah because of the nature of NS you can win in any way possible you can think of, even with 0 rts and you can lose just the same with 9 rts. Stop putting the game in a narrow range of tactics. Anything can happen in a game, you can NEVER plan a game and play it that way. Its just not possible, unless you talk with the alien team before hand and they agree to let you win.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Though i cant argue that anything <i>can</i> hapen, fact is the probability of it hapening is fairly low. Human stupidity can blow anything, and serindipidy can get anything back. Chances of these happing is most games however...
  • StarludeStarlude Join Date: 2003-09-05 Member: 20576Members
    are very low. General tactics and a "narrower scope" help to give us perspective on what is more effective. Doh. But anyway... yes... when stalemated in res, I find the deciding factor seems to be the 2nd hive. If marines own 5 res towers and 2 hives, they have a tendency to win. If they own 5 res towers and 1 hive, they have a tendency to loose.

It's all the abilities and upgrades. An important thing you must keep in mind is denying a hive location to the aliens basically denies them the most a very important thing: UPGRADES. These upgrades come in two forms, 1) an ability (ie. gorge's bilebomb, lurk's umbra, ono's stomp, skulk's leap, fade's metabolize, arguabily some of the most necessary equipment to destroy marines in a midgame) and in chambers. a hive gives aliens a 2 fold upgrade, and in equal res situations, I find the hive is USUALLY the deciding factor.

Note I say USUALLY, so don't jump all over my arse please =p, and yes I understand that chance, luck, randomness, skill (of your marines and of the aliens) does play a large role also, and cannot be in any way planned or predicted for, but I've noticed a general trend. We must remeber that marine upgrades are dependant on res and structures that can be built ANYWHERE. Alien upgrades are wholly dependant on hives and chambers, for which hives are necessary FOR chambers. Deprive them of their upgrades, and the aliens cannot win.