Iraq Speculation

BaconTheoryBaconTheory Join Date: 2003-09-06 Member: 20615Members
<div class="IPBDescription">What do you think?</div> I'm about to eat dinner, so I'm going to get right to the point.

On all of George Bush's adresses, he was always justifying the War on Iraq. However, I have a few problems with his War on Iraq.

1. Did we actually find and kill Saddam? NO
2. Did we find weapons of mass destruction? NO
3. Did <i>ALL</i> of the Iraqis really want us in Iraq? NO
4. When the Iraqis started burning the oil fields, he told the troops to save as many as they could.

So, I tell you my comrades, decide for yourself what the war accomplished.

Comments

• absenticabsentic Join Date: 2003-09-03 Member: 20517Banned
    1. Sons are already dead. Give it some time, you impatient ****.
    2. Yes you actually did.
    3. Only the non-brainwashed ones.
    4. Why do you figure this? (Hint: they were saved to keep Iraqs economy from crumbling so it wouldn't take 10 years just to get the infastructre back on...)

You tree hugging hippies make me laugh :)
  • lady_lazaruslady_lazarus Join Date: 2003-06-02 Member: 16947Members
    hmmm...i was really anti war before- went on the march and everything and I still think I'm right about the reasons going to war being completely unfounded. but at the same time, i can now kind of see what they're trying to accomplish in the long term with the end of tyranny and all of that. However I agree with you in that they've completely lost sight of it and they've made a right royal pigs ear of the exercise...anyway, thats my garbled answer to your question...
    In other words you have no idea what you were protesting about and no idea what the situation in Iraq was, and who the hell Saddam is as a person.
  • coilcoil Amateur pirate. Professional monkey. All pance. Join Date: 2002-04-12 Member: 424Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    absentic, treat your fellow posters with respect, please.
    _______

Saddam isn't dead, but he was removed from power, and both of his sons (also major players in his regime) are dead.

No, we have not found weapons of mass destruction, nor have we found any research plans for WMD. The best we've found is that Saddam had many scientists who would have been able to pursue a WMD research program, if one had existed.

"All" is a rather idealistic word. All of America didn't want GWB to be present; hell, not even a majority of the country did. q: But that's another story. Regardless, the number of Iraqis who "wanted" an invasion doesn't really play into it.

Iraq's oil fields are a vital resource for the entire world, not just America or Iraq. Immediately, they are Iraq's major means of generating wealth, and so if Bush wants to stabilize Iraq and let it grow on its own, the new government will need the oil.
    ______

Personally, I think GWB is warmongering; Gary Trudeau (writer/artist of <i>Doonsbury</i>) draws him quite accurately as a Roman cavalier's plumed helmet. I think we went into Iraq rashly and for the wrong reasons. Do I think the world will be a better place once Iraq has stabilized? Probably. Do I think your four points are valid arguments? Except for #2, no.
    Sorry coil I really try but teenage wanna-be idealists with false ideas and no clue make it a bit hard if you know what I mean
  • BaconTheoryBaconTheory Join Date: 2003-09-06 Member: 20615Members
    Well I apologize for having my own ideas absentic. I'm not saying that you have to agree with me, but at least treat me with some level of decency. After all, you the youth of the nation deserve a voice too.
    Ofcourse they do. The point was that you need to research into what you think is right to discover if it is right or not.
  • MelatoninMelatonin Babbler Join Date: 2003-03-15 Member: 14551Members, Constellation
    edited September 2003
    <!--QuoteBegin--absentic+Sep 14 2003, 06:04 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (absentic @ Sep 14 2003, 06:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Ofcourse they do. The point was that you need to research into what you think is right to discover if it is right or not. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    which part exactly are you disputing?
    the war was a joke.
    the idea that you can attack a country for 'possible future attacks' is absurd, and no one should ever forget this.
    I mean, who can say a certain country 'doesnt have the right to defend itself', and isnt 'allowed' weapons of its own.

and dont attack people for being teenage, we were all teenage once, unless your 12, in which case get off the disscusions board and go to the park or somthing.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    I love it when thinking war is bad makes you a tree-hugging hippie. Personally, I don't even think there's anything wrong with being a tree-hugging hippie. It's sure as hell better than being a bloodlusting murderer.

And people shouldn't have any illusions about what a 'paradise' we plan on turning Iraq into. take a look at the <a href='http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=28&t=46568' target='_blank'>87 billion dollars</a> thread, and ask yourself if the miniscule portion of the money that's going to reconstruction is enough. Not to mention that you should ask yourself whether <a href='http://www.iraqbodycount.net/' target='_blank'>6,000 to 8,000</a> dead civilian men, women, and children is an acceptable price...
  • RuneGreyRuneGrey Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4844Members
    Reall, I believe that the major reason that we have gone in and conquered Iraq is for the dream of American Empire - at this point, the United States is sitting on top of a very sizable reserve of oil, and probably a signifigant fraction of the world's total discovered supply. That gives an *enormous* economic power if we hold onto Iraq as a puppet government, and if nothing else it happens to break OPEC's stranglehold over the Oil Market by allowing the US to determine how much is going to be produced out of Iraq each day and at what cost. Just like the Soviets hording diamonds back during the cold war, creating a major stockpile gives us the option of flooding the market and depressing prices *at will* as a means of economic coersion in the future.

Note that Bush has also claimed that creating a stable democracy in Iraq would have a domino effect in the middle east, toppling all of the 'brutal terrorist regimes' that are in place there. It should be noted that the countries whom are included in the Middle East who do not have democratic governments right now are Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and quite a few of our allies. Oddly enough, Iran DOES have form of democratic government, even if it isn't as free as we might expect our government to be. But everyone has their own cup of tea, and at the moment Iran is very stable, and is more likely to change due to deep rooted political activism from its very large under 25 population than from any US influence... so long as that influence is not a direct invasion.

But given the right opportunies and actions, it is not entirely unforseeable to have Bush toppling several other governments in the middle east, or putting enough pressure on them to allow the US to dictate policy. Between Iraq, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia, this would give the US control of over HALF of the world's oil supply.

Whomever controls the gold makes the law - in this case, the gold is simply black.
  • BurncycleBurncycle Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9759Members, NS1 Playtester
    edited September 2003
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Not to mention that you should ask yourself whether 6,000 to 8,000 dead civilian men, women, and children is an acceptable price... <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How many died in the 12 years of sanctions where Saddam let his people suffer whilst using the sanctions as the scapegoat to stir up as much anti-american sentiment as possible, thus ensuring his position as the head of the country?

If your busy hating the US, you don't care much about what your leader is doing. Things you normally wouldn't tolerate are suddenly tolerable. Just like with american nationalism in the war on terror. You think ordinarily we'd let our rights be squeezed like this? I wonder what the iraqi people would have thought if they realized saddam could have done something and didn't....

yes I said it, saddam let his people suffer when had the power to change it. I'm not shifting all the blame on him (as you would quickly do if it was the US) but he wasn't an innocent pawn in all of this.

Contrary to popular belief, the sanctions weren't in place to strangle the iraqi people. In fact, the stuff saddam was allowed to sell was SUPPOSED to go to only food and medicine for his people. They did not.

Instead of feeding them, giving them medicine, etc. he lived high on the hog with his 6 palaces- and why <i>should</i> he help them? All he's got to do is tell his people that america is responsible for their suffering, and is not letting him get anything for the people to help them. Bad america. Hate america and we'll change that!

He didn't tell them he was spending goo-gobs of money smuggling in fiber optic missile network technology from china. He didn't tell them that money could have been used to "smuggle in" food and medicine.

His people DIED in DROVES and all he did was let the media, which he controlled, sap it for all it was worth. He could have stopped it one of three ways (complying and getting sanctions lifted, giving his people the food and medicine that he was supposed to be providing and had the means to provide, or even smuggling in food and medicine as a last resort if it wasn't "enough". He didn't do any of that).

I concede that the sanctions weren't very productive, don't get me wrong. They did nothing but ensure saddams power. The guy ain't stupid. He saw an oppertunity and used it.

Saddams actions were just as inexcuseable as americas. A lot of you will disagree with me, but thats just my $.02.
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->which part exactly are you disputing?
    the war was a joke.
    the idea that you can attack a country for 'possible future attacks' is absurd, and no one should ever forget this.
    I mean, who can say a certain country 'doesnt have the right to defend itself', and isnt 'allowed' weapons of its own.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was disputing the part where he had no idea what he was talking about.
    Second, are you saying attacking Nazi Germany or Japan was also absurd?

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->And people shouldn't have any illusions about what a 'paradise' we plan on turning Iraq into. take a look at the 87 billion dollars thread, and ask yourself if the miniscule portion of the money that's going to reconstruction is enough. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then ask yourself how much Iraq is going to MAKE the US money.

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Not to mention that you should ask yourself whether 6,000 to 8,000 dead civilian men, women, and children is an acceptable price... <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Compared to the 25,000+ people Saddam killed every year?

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Reall, I believe that the major reason that we have gone in and conquered Iraq is for the dream of American Empire - <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This just made me laugh. I think what you wrote is enough for everyone :-]

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Note that Bush has also claimed that creating a stable democracy in Iraq would have a domino effect in the middle east, toppling all of the 'brutal terrorist regimes' that are in place there. It should be noted that the countries whom are included in the Middle East who do not have democratic governments right now are Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and quite a few of our allies. Oddly enough, Iran DOES have form of democratic government, even if it isn't as free as we might expect our government to be. But everyone has their own cup of tea, and at the moment Iran is very stable, and is more likely to change due to deep rooted political activism from its very large under 25 population than from any US influence... so long as that influence is not a direct invasion.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So you are saying countries Saudi-Arabia or Afghanistan *ARENT* brutal terrorist regimes? Whoo-hoo lad... If you also think that anybody else but Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has the last word in EVERYTHING going on in Iran (meaning the "government" there is fake) you are a true fool.

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->But given the right opportunies and actions, it is not entirely unforseeable to have Bush toppling several other governments in the middle east, or putting enough pressure on them to allow the US to dictate policy. Between Iraq, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia, this would give the US control of over HALF of the world's oil supply.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Let's hope Bush can topple as many as possible before another democrat starts supplying North-Koreas with nuclear designs *cough* Clinton *cough*...
  • MelatoninMelatonin Babbler Join Date: 2003-03-15 Member: 14551Members, Constellation
    no. what im saying is, the concept that america can claim a particular country 'might possibly attack us at some point on the future' is about the single most stupid (not to mention false) reason to go to war with that country, in fact its not even a reason; so bad is its logic. And yet people still talk about the weapons as a reason to attack.
    Saddam was not only a threat to surrounding countries and possibly to the US; but also to his own people.

I guess I'll go gas me a kurd now!
    edited September 2003
    *retracted*
    please, cut out the rhetoric and one liners!

you need some perspective.
    It's not rhetoric, it's the gosh dang truth!
    true it may be, cause for invasion/ masacres/ and rape of resources it probably isnt.
    Massacres... haha... you make me laugh more by every post :]
    Funny democrats
    edited September 2003
    this is no laughing matter

Massacre : To kill in considerable numbers <b>where much resistance can not be made; to kill with indiscriminate violence, without necessity</b>, and contrary to the usages of nations; to butcher; to slaughter; -- limited to the killing of human beings.

<a href='http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3105574.stm' target='_blank'>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_ea...ast/3105574.stm</a> - Iraqi police killed
    <a href='http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3162485.stm' target='_blank'>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_ea...ast/3162485.stm</a> - Journalist killed
    <a href='http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2946054.stm' target='_blank'>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2946054.stm</a> - Cluster bombs used in inner city areas

just a few for you here ( from the BBC i might add, im sure ide find better examples elsewhere, but this is about as 'reliable' as I can think of)

*edit* and by the way, i am not a democrat
    It's a matter of laughing when you accuse US of massacring anything or anyone in Iraq.
    Just think for a second what you are saying and what massacre means.
    once again i fail to see your point
    please, forgive my stupidity and enlighten me...
    It's a war out there, son!
    ... Don't you think peoples are goin' t' be killed?
    its technically not, since war was never declared.
    and just because its a war, is no excuse to (yes, im sure this word applies) massacre civilians/ police/ journalists.
    Ok let me put it into the language of the common folk ™

MISTAKES HAPPEN. You tout a camera around a battlezone and it just might be mistaken for an rpg launcher. Don't start whining when you have a hole the size of my fist in your head due to your own stupidity. Want to burn the American flag in front of US soldiers? Well be prepared to catch some serious artillery for it, idiot.
    edited September 2003
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->and just because its a war, is no excuse to (yes, im sure this word applies) massacre civilians/ police/ journalists. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then acknowledge that this sort of inexcuseable action is happening on both sides, at the very least to cover all your bases and make responses like this not nessissary.

I'm tired of hearing that whenever an innocent person from another country gets killed, it's americas fault and is unjustifiable and inexcuseable. Bad bad america.

But when thousands of americans die, many of which would probably wholeheartedly agree with you, it's excuseable simply because the people doing the killing are, in your eyes, "oppressed people who are just defending themselves". Please.

We've established that mistakes happened. Thousands of innocents died. We already understand that. But what are you trying to prove? You think we don't believe you? I mean, I could do the opposite to support the other side. I could sit here and post news reports showing israeli civilians in cafes and busses being bombed. I can sit here and post news of all the attacks made against the united states and other powers like russia and britain, france and germany. I can post stories of how miserable the iraqi civilians were under saddams rule. How many thousands died with no end in sight.

Its tragic that those 8-10,000 people died in the war on terror. But the difference is, now the people have hope for a better future. Those deaths can't be excused, but at least they were not in vain, at least if we do the reconstruction thing well. And that is a far sight better than 100,000+ dying with no hope of anything changing, like in the 12 years after gulf war 1, when saddam didn't help his own people when he could. Thats not to say we (america) had no part to play in the matter- but don't leave out the others.

We did not massacre police, cameraman and reporters. Even by the definition you posted. The soldiers thought they were threatened, and they defended themselves. EVERY DAY their comrades are dying when a guy suddenly drops an RPG on their shoulder and nails them. Then one day some guy dropped a camera on their shoulder and pointed it at them. What did you expect them to do? If I walk up to you and punch you in the face every day, then one day you get tired of it and decide to defend yourself, and THAT is the day I decide to shake your hand instead, and you knock my lights out when I approach you, can I really blame you?

On the other hand, what of the kurds who WERE massacred? What of the resistance in kuwait that was massacred? What about the ethnic clensing going on all over the world? Oh, americas fault, I forgot. We MADE them slaughter their own people in the name of religion and power, ok.

The difference between my argument and yours mel is that while I'm concedeing that america isn't entirely innocent, I'm also pointing out that you should also address the inexcuseable actions of other countries who are doing similar things, sometimes even more directly and intentionally rather than accidently.
  • GrendelGrendel All that is fear... Join Date: 2002-07-19 Member: 970Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, NS2 Playtester
    <!--QuoteBegin--Burncycle+Sep 15 2003, 02:49 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Burncycle @ Sep 15 2003, 02:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->and just because its a war, is no excuse to (yes, im sure this word applies) massacre civilians/ police/ journalists. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then acknowledge that this sort of inexcuseable action is happening on both sides, at the very least to cover all your bases and make responses like this not nessissary.

I'm tired of hearing that whenever an innocent person from another country gets killed, it's americas fault and is unjustifiable and inexcuseable. Bad bad america.

But when thousands of americans die, many of which would probably wholeheartedly agree with you, it's excuseable simply because the people doing the killing are, in your eyes, "oppressed people who are just defending themselves". Please.

We've established that mistakes happened. Thousands of innocents died. We already understand that. But what are you trying to prove? You think we don't believe you? I mean, I could do the opposite to support the other side. I could sit here and post news reports showing israeli civilians in cafes and busses being bombed. I can sit here and post news of all the attacks made against the united states and other powers like russia and britain, france and germany. I can post stories of how miserable the iraqi civilians were under saddams rule. How many thousands died with no end in sight.

Its tragic that those 8-10,000 people died in the war on terror. But the difference is, now the people have hope for a better future. Those deaths can't be excused, but at least they were not in vain, at least if we do the reconstruction thing well. And that is a far sight better than 100,000+ dying with no hope of anything changing, like in the 12 years after gulf war 1, when saddam didn't help his own people when he could. Thats not to say we (america) had no part to play in the matter- but don't leave out the others.

We did not massacre police, cameraman and reporters. Even by the definition you posted. The soldiers thought they were threatened, and they defended themselves. EVERY DAY their comrades are dying when a guy suddenly drops an RPG on their shoulder and nails them. Then one day some guy dropped a camera on their shoulder and pointed it at them. What did you expect them to do? If I walk up to you and punch you in the face every day, then one day you get tired of it and decide to defend yourself, and THAT is the day I decide to shake your hand instead, and you knock my lights out when I approach you, can I really blame you?

On the other hand, what of the kurds who WERE massacred? What of the resistance in kuwait that was massacred? What about the ethnic clensing going on all over the world? Oh, americas fault, I forgot. We MADE them slaughter their own people in the name of religion and power, ok.

The difference between my argument and yours mel is that while I'm concedeing that america isn't entirely innocent, I'm also pointing out that you should also address the inexcuseable actions of other countries who are doing similar things, sometimes even more directly and intentionally rather than accidently. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No. You didn't make them.

<b>We</b> armed and trained them, however and gave them support in the UN and financial aid when their opposition of Iran suited us. So in a manner of speaking, yes America is responsible. As is Britain, France and a number of other countries in the West.
    look, im not trying to say iraq are some holy nation incapable of doing wrong.
    what I am doing is saying these people have died, and they probably wouldnt have died had american troops not shot them. simple as.

and actually i was simply trying to shut up absentic, whos been getting on my nerves to be honest.
    edited September 2003
    Nice, you edit out replies which totally counter your uneducated guess at something. Good job!
    I think this concludes this thread, it is obvious you are yet again a person who has a big mouth and uses it to spew "facts" about things he has no clue about.
    edited September 2003
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->We armed and trained them, however and gave them support in the UN and financial aid when their opposition of Iran suited us. So in a manner of speaking, yes America is responsible. As is Britain, France and a number of other countries in the West. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, in a manner of speaking, america is PARTLY responsable for SOME of the senseless killings. Guys, needless killing and bad policies have been around LONG before america and will be around long after we're gone. Just because it's a small time thing; some warlord in some obscure country killing his own people, does not mean it's any less unjust. It's a universal problem we have on our hands, and although america is in the spotlight right now and we're focusing on it, just don't forget.

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->look, im not trying to say iraq are some holy nation incapable of doing wrong.
    what I am doing is saying these people have died, and they probably wouldnt have died had american troops not shot them. simple as<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There you go; thats all I was asking for. Just acknowledge at least when you point out some of the flaws in american actions and policy that other people are doing similar things, your just not referring to america at the moment in specific. This way it doesn't sound like your excusing them.
    absentic, will you shut the fu*k up.
    since you came to this board you have done nothing but attack others based on your 'highly educated' views which usually involve telling people they are idiots, or just straight up denying thing.
    you have offered NO EVEIDENCE to back up a single thing you have said.
    you refuse to read peoples points (or at least you dont understand them).
    and your arrogance is really doing my head in.